Search This Blog

The Wedding Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

Sunday, December 9, 2012
The Wedding Quilt


The New York Times bestseller celebrates one of America’s most romantic and enduring traditions

As her daughter’s wedding day approaches, Sarah McClure reflects upon Elm Creek brides past and present—the traditions they honored, the legacies they bequeathed, the wedding quilts that contain their stories in every stitch.


Unexpectedly, Caroline confides, “I wish I had a wedding quilt, one I made myself.” Sarah yearns to grant her fervent wish, but even the most talented novice would be daunted by the task of stitching, mere days before the wedding, a worthy symbol of the couple's bonds of love, commitment, trust, and hope for the future. Turning to her cherished friends, the Elm Creek Quilters, Sarah asks them to pool their creative gifts. As the women stitch, their memories render a vivid pastiche of family, friendship, and love in all its varieties.

Goodreads Summary



It’s surprising to me that I missed reading this series.  I have no real
talent at sewing, but the friendships involved in working together on
pieces that will become treasured family heirlooms is so appealing.  I
loved the book’s quilted cover…and the inside covers with the bright
spools of thread.  I felt like taking out my sewing box right away.

As I read through the story, I encountered strong women characters that I
found likeable and would like to know more about. Sometimes though, the
dialogue felt too soap opera.  The jumping in and out of situations and
time periods with different sets of characters seemed like the camera cuts
to different vignettes on a “soap”.  There were so many story lines…I was
confused at times trying to figure out who belonged to who and in what
situation.  That’s no surprise since I’m trying to read what feels like a
last summary book in the series - when I haven’t read the rest.  The
opinion of a devoted reader would make more sense than my impression.  I
have to say that every time the narrative described more about the
quilts…my attention was revived.

Three and a Half Stars

*Reviewed by Colleen*



Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository





This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

1 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I have been wanting to read this series! Sounds good and I don't mind the scene shifts you described.

    :]