Search This Blog

The Dead By Charlie Higson

Monday, December 17, 2012

The Dead (The Enemy #2)

A terrible disease is striking everyone over the age of fourteen. Death walks the streets.Nowhere is safe. Maxie, Blue and the rest of the Holloway crew aren't the only kids trying to escape the ferocious adults who prey on them.Jack and Ed are best friends, but their battle to stay alive tests their friendship to the limit as they go on the run with a mismatched group of other kids, nerds, fighters, misfits. And one adult. Greg, a butcher, who claims he's immune to the disease. They must work together if they want to make it in this terrifying new world. But as a fresh disaster threatens to overwhelm London, they realize they won?t all survive.

Goodreads Summary


This book did not release me from its clutches until three in the morning.  I was so afraid that I slept with the lights on.  Charlie Higson created a terrifying world in his novel, The Dead.  A group of boys are trapped in a boarding school in the English countryside when a strange virus becomes an epidemic.  Anyone over a certain age quickly becomes afflicted and succumbs to the disease.  However, unlike any other deadly sickness, victims of the illness do not immediately die; the adults and teens become zombie-like creatures who crave the flesh of children.  The boys must survive an attack by people they trust, they have to fight for their survival.
The Dead is not a book for children; I would not give this novel to any child under the age of thirteen.  Gruesome scenes are described and at least twenty people died within the first few chapters.  Most children could not handle the attacks and violence written by Charlie Higson.
I give Higson’s work four out of five stars.  Blood, gore, and insanity are often brought together, but not like this.  Charlie Higson created a world that will exist in the minds of all his readers, a world that they will not soon forget.    


4 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this series at the library quite a few times, and picked it up but never brought it home with me. I wasn't entirely too sure about it. But it sounds like this might be a series that I would enjoy. Blood and gore don't bother me. In fact, I like it. Not in a weird, creepy way. I just like zombies, and that is what you should get with zombies. I like that the group in the book are an eclectic. Nerds, and fighters, and sporty guys all mixed together. I think it would definitely add another element to the story, with all of those personalities. I think I will have to check this one out!

  1. Unknown said...:

    I am not that fond of the cover however I am so wanting to read this! I love books with this kind of plot!!!

    I am adding it to my TBR list on Goodreads!