Search This Blog

Ruby By: Amanda Burke

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ruby (Ruby, #1)


During the Salem witch hunts, an evil witch named Natasha Sullivan tricks a demon into confining himself inside an enchanted music box. She casts a spell that foretells that the demon will emerge in an unknown time in future after the birth of a child known as the Lumen Child. This child’s destiny is to bring light to the planet and Natasha knows that if he is killed then darkness will prevail. Natasha’s identical twin Sarah, discovers what her sister has done. Although she cannot break the spell she casts her own prophecy. It states that three witches known as the Triple Enchantresses will be born in the same time as the Lumen Child and they will be his supernatural protectors. The girls are not sisters, yet they will share a common destiny. Ruby is the story of the first witch and how she very nearly dies before discovering her true identity. Having grown up unaware of her powers, she is rescued by her loving grandmother who is also a white witch and taken back to the family estate where she learns everything she can about what her future holds. Ruby is the first in a four book series.

Goodreads Summary


Ruby is the type of easy-to-read book that only requires a single afternoon to finish.  Plot twists and turns take a reader through Ruby’s adventures and leave the reader wondering what will happen next.  The original plot with familiar characters was fun and Amanda Burke did a good job putting her own spin on elements that are used in most young adult supernatural fiction.
The main character, Ruby, seems like an interesting girl, but the reader is not able to get to know her well.  Ruby was too short; I do not feel like I know the characters well.  Another hundred pages would be necessary for me to develop the kind of “friendship” I like to have with characters.  The briefness of the book also left me frustrated with Ruby’s romance.  She and her romantic interest take the term “insta-love” to an entirely new level.  That kind of love frustrates me and makes me want to stop reading.  How quickly the climax of the book came, startled me, as well.
Teen girls and young adult book lovers would enjoy Ruby.  The book was fun to read and I want to know what will happen next, but I give Ruby three out of five stars.  Lack of character depth and the insta-love left me feeling frustrated after I finished reading and I think Amanda Burke can do better!  Insta-love is for authors who lack skill and Burke is a good writer.  

3 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble





This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

1 comments:

  1. Diana said...:

    Gonna check this book out! :)