Search This Blog

Ashes of Twilight By: Kassy Tayler

Sunday, December 30, 2012
Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)

Wren MacAvoy works as a coal miner for a domed city that was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century to protect the royal blood line of England when astronomers spotted a comet on a collision course with Earth. Humanity would be saved by the most groundbreaking technology of the time. But after nearly 200 years of life beneath the dome, society has become complacent and the coal is running out.  Plus there are those who wonder, is there life outside the dome or is the world still consumed by fire? When one of Wren's friends escapes the confines of the dome, he is burned alive and put on display as a warning to those seeking to disrupt the dome’s way of life. But Alex’s final words are haunting. “The sky is blue.”  What happens next is a whirlwind of adventure, romance, conspiracy and the struggle to stay alive in a world where nothing is as it seems. Wren unwittingly becomes a catalyst for a revolution that destroys the dome and the only way to survive might be to embrace what the entire society has feared their entire existence.

Goodreads Summary


All life exists in a dome maintained by slaves.  This dystopian idea is intriguing and interesting.  Wren MacAvoy lost her best friend, Alex, after he left the dome and was burned to death to warn the other slaves.  Now, Wren cannot help but wonder if he was right; could life exist outside the dome?  This is the question that drives the book forward.
I was really excited by the cover of Ashes of Twilight, but had a hard time getting into the world Kassy Tayler created.  This is probably because I like narrators with lots of power behind their words and actions; doers, not questioners.  Wren failed to impress me because she had a million questions, but just kept thinking of more questions rather than doing much about them.  However, these questions may be answered in the next book-which I am definitely picking up!  I think more action would have helped me fall into the book.
The style this book was written in did not agree with me.  However, writing style is not something that should really be critiqued.  If you like longer sentences and lots of information about what is happening in a character’s head, this book is for you.  If not, I would say to look elsewhere for your next read.
Ashes of Twilight seems like a good book for teen girls.  I could imagine many of my friends reading this novel.  Kassy Tayler’s book was not for me but that does not mean that it is a “bad” novel, just that I have different preferences in reading material.  The idea behind Ashes of Twilight is a good one.  I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.        


3 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. nrlymrtl said...:

    I read this book a few weeks ago and I was drawn in by the dome. I love sticking characters in confined settings, giving them something to angst over, and reading into the wee hours of the morning to see how they get out of it...or deeper into trouble.

  1. The cover of this book is stunning. I love it. And when I read the premise, I thought that I would love it. But after reading quite a few reviews, none of which have been all that flattering, I am just not so sure. I may give it a shot, if given the chance. I might just wait and see what people think of book 2! Thanks for your review!

  1. Diana said...:

    Never heard of the book so thanks for the post and review! :)

    - Diana Grace

  1. bn100 said...:

    Sounds intriguing