Search This Blog

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.
And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.
Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.

Goodreads Summary

Fans of Barnes’s other series, Raised By Wolves, will enjoy this novel.  Strong female characters and a fast paced plot make this book difficult to put down.  Kali is human, sort of.  Every other day Kali becomes a hunter.  She kills paranormal creatures and is almost invincible.  Trying to fly under the radar is a necessity because of who, or what, she is.  This changes one day when she see a death sign on Bethany, the most popular girl at her high school.  Saving the girl will mean Kali will have to risk her life on a day when she is not invincible.  Kali must fight to sunrise as a human.
    Part of the reason I love this book so much is because of Kali.  She is all business and determined.  Kali questions her humanity and purpose in the world, giving her an appeal and drive.  Supporting characters Skylar and Bethany have their own characteristics that make them memorable and engaging.  Skylar, a pixie like psychic, guides Kali and Bethany, is tough and loyal.  Both girls join Kali on her adventure in this novel.  Every Other Day seems perfect for teen readers who enjoy excitement and the paranormal.  I give this book 4.5 stars out of 5. 

4 1/2 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

7 comments:

  1. Lalaine said...:

    I remember reading this last year, but I kind of put it down and had completely forgotten about it. It does sounds so good and will sure to continue reading it soon as I can. Great review Kristin. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

  1. Sounds great!!! Adding it to my TBR! Thanks!

  1. J Whitus said...:

    I've been contemplating putting this on my TBR. I think I will have to. Thanks for you thoughts.
    Jeannette
    www.walkingonbookshelves.blogspot.com

  1. LisaILJ said...:

    I need to read this book. Between your really great review and the fact that it's on YALSA's watch list of best books for YA, it looks like a must read.

  1. Steph said...:

    Great review! This book has been patiently sitting on my review shelf. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet! After reading your thoughts, I'm going to have to get to it soon.

  1. Krista said...:

    I love Jennifer Lynn Barnes and I've heard great things about this book! That's awesome that the supporting characters are memorable. I hate when supporting characters are just blah. Great review!

  1. I was torn about this book. I loved some of the aspects of it, but didn't 100% like some of the others. I like the Raised by Wolves series better, personally, but this one is okay too. I think I like anything by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I'm interested to see where she goes with this story.