Search This Blog

Favorite Holidays Stories: Guest Post by Lena Goldfinch!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011
One of my favorite holiday stories is O. Henry’s The Gift of the Magi. The first time I encountered this short-but-sweet story was on some now lost TV show featuring John Boy from The Walton’s as the hero (not a Walton’s episode per se, but Richard Thomas playing the role). I can’t find anything online about this TV version, so it’s possible I have the details wrong. (If anyone knows anything about this version please let me know! I’d love to see it again.)

What I love about this story is more than its wonderful twist of an ending. I won’t spoil it here in case you haven’t had the opportunity to read it. (And if you haven’t read it, you really need to! The original short story is three masterful pages long, available online at the Gutenberg Project: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7256). The twist may be what makes us smile, but what touched me most was the love between this young couple struggling to make ends meet. They’re so obviously, heart-wrenchingly devoted to one another. I’m also a sucker for Regency romance novellas, especially Christmas themed ones. I’ve even toyed with the idea of writing an adaptation of The Gift of the Magi using an Regency England setting. Maybe someday I will…maybe someday soon. J

Other beloved holiday stories have also come to me through the magic of television (I know, I know, not very literary of me! ;)):

How The Grinch Stole Christmas
It’s a Wonderful Life (my all-time favorite)
Miracle on 34th Street

And who else fell in love with the Island of Misfit Toys in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? Or loved to hate the Heat Miser from The Year Without a Santa Claus? (I can hear that song in my head right now: “I’m Mister Green Christmas, I’m Mister Sun. I’m Mister Heat Blister, I’m Mister 101!”)

There are lots of newer holiday stories too, but these are a few that have stuck with me. What’s are yours?

A special thanks to Krystal for letting me visit her lovely blog today.

Happy Holidays to all!
Lena

Lena Goldfinch writes young adult and adult fantasy. Getting a Kindle, Nook, or iPad2 for Christmas this year? Her short-but-sweet romantic fantasy, The Language of Souls, is available in many ebook formats. You can visit her online at www.LenaGoldfinch.com.

The Language of Souls, now available.
“A truly stunning novella that I highly recommend to readers who enjoy romance laced with elements of fantasy, or anyone longing for a good old fashioned HEA... At just under 80 pages this is a story that can be easily devoured in an afternoon.” —Christie, The Fiction Enthusiast, 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. Trish said...:

    I think the Gift of the Magi is one of my favorite stories of all time - I remember hearing it for the first time when I was little and being struck, even then, with how profound the message is.

    Amazing a writer could do that in 3 pages :)