Search This Blog

I Loved You First by Reena Jacobs

Monday, December 26, 2011
My best friend was more than just a best friend to me. Three words summed it up: I heart him. I’d never tell him though. I wasn’t stupid. Besides, what he’d told no one, but me, was a little something I wished I could forget… or ignore. He was gay. I guess gay wouldn’t be bad if I wasn’t so in love with him. Now it was just cruel.

Stereotypes run amok in this college love story: Parties, alcohol, hookups, and breakups. Alexandria Carmichael may find it a bit much as she deals with the unreturned love from the boy who completes her. When all is revealed, not only does she risk losing her best friend forever, but also herself. Without her childhood companion for support, Alexandria takes a journey of self-discovery but fears what she’ll find at the end.


Goodreads Summary

Alexandria is in love with someone who has no chance of loving her back-at least in the way she would like.  Seth, her best friend, is gay.  Their friendship is sweet, they have been friends for many years and Alexandria does not intend to throw away their friendship over her crush.  Alex knows that Seth is not straight, but she is the only one and is forced to watch the parade of girls that Seth dates more for a show than anything else.  The reader will enjoy understanding the motives behind Seth's actions as well as Alex's thoughts along the way.  Alex's heart is silently breaking, can she move on?

Alex's character is fun.  She can be a little self-pitying, but she is overall a character the reader can connect to.  Seth is a little harder to like as the reader knows he is lying to himself and to others, regardless of the reasons.  The other characters, especially Alex's later on love interests, are interesting and are a tad on the stereotypical side-as the reader was told to expect.  The events were quick, it is college after all, there is a lot to read about and the author covers the most stereotypical aspects of college.  The writing was smooth, the reader isn't left feeling confused.  This book is recommended to young adult/adult readers.

4 Stars



Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble




This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

0 comments: