The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Posted by Krystal Larson at 4:54 PM Friday, November 9, 2012
1961 England. Laurel Nicolson is sixteen years old, dreaming alone in her childhood tree house during a family celebration at their home, Green Acres Farm. She spies a stranger coming up the long road to the farm and then observes her mother, Dorothy, speaking to him. And then she witnesses a crime.
Fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to Green Acres for Dorothy’s ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by memories and questions she has not thought about for decades. She decides to find out the truth about the events of that summer day and lay to rest her own feelings of guilt. One photograph, of her mother and a woman Laurel has never met, called Vivian, is her first clue.
The Secret Keeper explores longings and dreams, the lengths some people go to fulfill them, and the strange consequences they sometimes have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers and schemers, play-acting and deception told against a backdrop of events that changed the world.
Reading about a teen close to my generation - never interests me as much as characters from earlier time periods. Laurel Nicolson is sixteen, tired of her family, dreaming of a boy, and hiding out in a treehouse. I almost didn’t keep reading; a typical girl’s drama at that age doesn’t interest me. Luckily, I kept reading and heard about the murder, about the dramatic, self-centered girl that Dorothy (Laurel’s mother) used to be. I like Laurel so much better when she is an older character, a famous British actress. The care, concern, humor, and love that all three sisters show for their mother draws you into their circle.
As their mother’s life nears its end, the mystery of their mother’s life sends Laurel sleuthing into her past, into a time when England is being bombarded by German bombs. It’s fascinating (want to read about her, but want to shake her too) to read about Dolly (Dorothy), a self-centered, dreamer who imagines a much more interesting, important life than she actually leads. Dolly’s boyfriend, Jimmy, seems so wonderful – honest, caring, moral - that you want to shake him too – for putting up with Dolly. Vivien Jenkins is a mystery woman, but the reason she often disappears for days isn’t hard to figure out. “Dorothy’s” son’s belief in his mother’s goodness eases your heart when you start to think the worst of her. The ending was wonderful…and totally unexpected for me. I saw a write-up from another reviewer who thought Morton’s writing was too transparent; I never saw the ending coming. Total surprise!
Four and a Half Stars
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Christmas Giveaway Books Hop!!!
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- Regine’s Book: A Teen Girl’s Last Words By: Regine...
- Poseidon and the Sea of Fury Book Blast and Giveaw...
- Almost Christmas Giveaway!!! (INT)
- That's a loaded question. So many ways to answer...
- Keegan's Chronicles Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Courting Cate by Leslie Gould
- First Time: The Legend of Garison Fitch: Book Blas...
- HarperCollins News!
- Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- The Consul General's Wife by Aliefka Bijlsma
- Crossroads Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Bluff by Lenore Skomal
- Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling by Laura L May...
- Dead Running by Cami Checketts
- Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson
- Secrets by Tim Mettey
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett
- The Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann
- Wisteria Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dreaming of Summer Giveaway Hop! -- US / CAN
- Adrift In the Sound by Kate Campbell
- Mona Lisa's Room: Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- Ava's Pleasure Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Wildflower Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Strangers in the Land (The Zombie Bible) by Stant ...
- The Watch Dog by Sandy Lo: Interview and Giveaway!...
- Breathless Press Shout-Out and Giveaway!
- Brochure Printing at PrintRunner!
- Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- The Bracelet by Roberta Gately
- RaShelle Workman: Interview and Giveaway (link at...
- Highland Magic Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- A Merry Little Christmas by: Anita Higman
- Aliefka Bijlsma: Interview and Book Feature!
- GPS With Benefits Shout-Out!
- The Archived By: Victoria Schwab
- Romeo Redeemed By: Stacey Jay
- The Making of Us By: Lisa Jewell
- Between You and Me By: Emma McLaughlin and Nicole ...
- Thankful for Books Giveaway!
- The Random Book About the Power of ANYone by Talia...
- The Masada Protocol by Lee Brand
- The Door in the Sky by Sandy Klein Bernstein
- The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
- Targets of Deception by Jeffrey S. Stephens
- Shadow City by Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Hocus Pocus Hotel by Michael Dahl
- Glass Heart by Amy Garvey
- Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
- Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
- Forgotten Lyrics Free Ebook Promo!
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- Becoming your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Ins...
- The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelor by...
- Breathe by Sarah Crossan
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- The Emerald Talisman Promotion!
- Massive 23 Book Giveaway! US/CAN
- Secrets of the Red Box Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Miracle Inspector By Helen Smith
- Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway: Review and Giveaw...
- Deity by Jennifer L Armentrout
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- ▼ November (66)