Search This Blog

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Breathe (Breathe, #1)


Inhale. Exhale.
Breathe.
Breathe.
Breathe . . .
The world is dead.
The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.

Alina
has been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.

Quinn
should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.

Bea
wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.

And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?

Goodreads Summary



Ask yourself this question: what if oxygen had to be bought? Breathe by Sarah Crossan explores this question and tells a compelling story between three point of views. It also has a bit of a romance triangle, but it doesn’t drag. The guy is pretty oblivious to the girl who desperately loves him; the other girl couldn’t care less because she’s in love with another guy… so I guess it’s like a square? The story starts off with a rich privileged boy – Quinn – who is best friends with Bea, who is the girl who is in love with him. Bea has an opportunity because she is part of the elite, but doesn’t get in. Knowing she’s crushed, Quinn takes her out to go camping. They find a girl – Alina – who’s running away from the dome. Quinn and Bea decide they want to go with her because it’ll be an “adventure” and the plot begins to twist and turn from there.
I really liked this book! One thing that really got on my nerves was how confusing the point of views were. They were sometimes three pages each and I got confused after a while on who was saying what. It was hard to get to know each character individually, though the reader does receive glimpses into each characters’ thoughts.  Another small point is how whiny some of the characters are. The good thing is it stops half way through the book so you’re not annoyed the whole adventure. The plot is overall terrific and the book is a fast-paced journey.  This book is great for young adult/teen readers!

4 Stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Everyone keeps talking about the multiple POvs! Call me crazy but that's what I'm most excited for! :)

    Love your review, I'm super excited to read it!
    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

  1. SarahO said...:

    I feel like I've read quite a bit about this book and somehow didn't know it had multiple POVs. Weird. That's pretty cool though. It's at least a fresh way of representing the love triangle idea. It's less trying when you can actually see first-hand the emotions behind each character. Looking forward to reading it, and love the cover.

  1. MirandaG said...:

    I'm looking forward to this one, but now I'm a bit hesitant about the POV changes. It really throws me sometimes in other books so I will have to watch carefully.

  1. A love squared, eh? That's a little scary! I haven't read Breathe yet because, as much as I enjoy dystopian stories, I feel like I am just rereading the same book with new elements thrown in nowadays. I hate judging an entire genre based on my issues with others, but I think I have just gotten a little fed up with it. I will still have to try this one out one day, though. When the rest of the series comes out!