The Making of Us By: Lisa Jewell
Posted by Krystal Larson at 6:59 PM Monday, November 12, 2012
From the internationally bestselling author of After the Party comes a delightfully funny, brilliantly poignant novel about three strangers who are brought together by the father they never knew. Lydia, Dean and Robyn don’t know one another. Yet. Each is facing difficult challenges. Lydia is still wearing the scars from her traumatic childhood. Wealthy and successful, she leads a lonely and disjointed existence. Dean is a young, unemployed, single dad whose life is going nowhere. Robyn is eighteen. Gorgeous, popular and intelligent, she entered her first year of college confident of her dream to become a pediatrician. Now she’s failing her classes. Now she’s falling in love for the first time.
Lydia, Dean and Robyn live very different lives, but each of them, independently, has always felt that something was missing. What they don’t know is that a letter is about to arrive that will turn their lives upside down. It is a letter containing a secret—one that will bind them together and show them what love and family and friendship really mean.
“So good that I practically inhaled it,” praised the Daily Mail (London). The Making of Us is a literary gem that will remind readers of the miracles that happen when we bring life into the world and share our lives with those we love.
Jewell’s novel brilliantly describes the unseen bonds that tie families together. Although they do not know each other, Lydia, Robyn, and Dean are siblings. They are all adults and living separate, unsatisfactory lives. Lydia is a lonely millionaire, Robyn is a confused student, and Dean is a struggling father. These three individuals meet for the first time in the midst of tragedy. The Making of Us voices the uncertainties of the children of sperm donors. Who is my father? What if my siblings do not want to meet me?
The Making of Us is written in a steady, thoughtful way. Reading this novel is like slipping into time; hours pass and a reader will not notice. Jewell wrote The Making of Us from several points of view. I believe that this is the best way to write a book that deals with the perspectives of many people. Presenting each important character’s thoughts makes the story feel more real. I could easily imagine meeting these characters.
This novel is perfect for adult readers looking for a before bed or rainy-day read. The Making of Us should not be read quickly, it is a book that should be enjoyed slowly. I give Lisa Jewel’s novel four-and-a-half out of five stars.
*Reviewed by Kristin*
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Christmas Giveaway Books Hop!!!
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- Regine’s Book: A Teen Girl’s Last Words By: Regine...
- Poseidon and the Sea of Fury Book Blast and Giveaw...
- Almost Christmas Giveaway!!! (INT)
- That's a loaded question. So many ways to answer...
- Keegan's Chronicles Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Courting Cate by Leslie Gould
- First Time: The Legend of Garison Fitch: Book Blas...
- HarperCollins News!
- Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- The Consul General's Wife by Aliefka Bijlsma
- Crossroads Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Bluff by Lenore Skomal
- Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling by Laura L May...
- Dead Running by Cami Checketts
- Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson
- Secrets by Tim Mettey
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett
- The Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann
- Wisteria Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dreaming of Summer Giveaway Hop! -- US / CAN
- Adrift In the Sound by Kate Campbell
- Mona Lisa's Room: Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- Ava's Pleasure Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Wildflower Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Strangers in the Land (The Zombie Bible) by Stant ...
- The Watch Dog by Sandy Lo: Interview and Giveaway!...
- Breathless Press Shout-Out and Giveaway!
- Brochure Printing at PrintRunner!
- Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- The Bracelet by Roberta Gately
- RaShelle Workman: Interview and Giveaway (link at...
- Highland Magic Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- A Merry Little Christmas by: Anita Higman
- Aliefka Bijlsma: Interview and Book Feature!
- GPS With Benefits Shout-Out!
- The Archived By: Victoria Schwab
- Romeo Redeemed By: Stacey Jay
- The Making of Us By: Lisa Jewell
- Between You and Me By: Emma McLaughlin and Nicole ...
- Thankful for Books Giveaway!
- The Random Book About the Power of ANYone by Talia...
- The Masada Protocol by Lee Brand
- The Door in the Sky by Sandy Klein Bernstein
- The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
- Targets of Deception by Jeffrey S. Stephens
- Shadow City by Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Hocus Pocus Hotel by Michael Dahl
- Glass Heart by Amy Garvey
- Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
- Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
- Forgotten Lyrics Free Ebook Promo!
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- Becoming your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Ins...
- The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelor by...
- Breathe by Sarah Crossan
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- The Emerald Talisman Promotion!
- Massive 23 Book Giveaway! US/CAN
- Secrets of the Red Box Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Miracle Inspector By Helen Smith
- Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway: Review and Giveaw...
- Deity by Jennifer L Armentrout
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- ▼ November (66)