Search This Blog

The Bracelet by Roberta Gately

Wednesday, November 14, 2012
The Bracelet
Humanitarian aid Abby Howell and reporter Nick Sinclair find themselves in the middle of a human trafficking ring in Pakistan. When Abby realizes she may have witnessed a murder by a high-ranking official, she and Nick must break the story before she becomes its next casualty.

Goodreads Summary

Abby Howell needs to figure out her life. A relationship ended and she wants something to distract herself. She decides to enlist in the UN and is sent to Pakistan. Personally, I believe that’s scary. Pakistan is currently brewing a war with India and I wouldn’t want to be there for the world-but Abby is a brave character. She arrives and witnesses a murder she wasn’t supposed to see. Not only that, but there’s a “lost” wall that shows children that are missing. We then get into the topic of human trafficking. If you don’t know what human trafficking is, it’s when people (usually younger ages) are sold into slavery. Abby also has a trusty companion, Nick Sinclair, who’s a New York Times reporter.  Nick figures in this book in a few ways that will both surprise and leave the reader happy that he/she got to know him better.

At first I was weary about this book because of the subject. Human Trafficking is horrible and I thought I was going to bawl my eyes out.I feel like we need to know more about the characters. I didn’t know any real backgrounds and I would have liked to dig deeper. The side characters’ stories were heartbreaking; what families have to go through is hard… I couldn’t imagine my brothers being sold. The writing was clear and understandable. Nothing was confusing or overly bogged down in detail. Gately tells you about towns that are poor and have to cope in awful conditions. The ending was disappointing to me. I feel like it was rushed and little thought was put into it… I’m more into endings that don’t tie up in a few paragraphs. It might be okay to some people, but that’s not my cup of tea. All around this was an interesting book concerning a topic that little is known about in the general public. I have to agree with people on Goodreads when they say the book is something you can read on an airplane.

3 Stars


*Reviewed by Rachel*

Find this book:





This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad this got a little too depressing for you. The synopsis sounds great. If you want to read more about human trafficking - although I'm guessing you don't want to be further depressed - The Blue Notebook is a great novel.

  1. Unknown said...:

    I really like your blog! Is there anyway I can contact you about possible review titles. Please email me kenya(dot)walker@us(dot)penguingroup(dot)com

  1. Alicia said...:

    This doesn't sound like it is for me, I'm not that crazy about depressing books or rushed endings. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it.

    Thanks for the review!

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I don't know very much about this topic but I try to avoid anything too depressing.