Search This Blog

Shadowlands by Kate Brian

Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Shadowlands


Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived… and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye.

Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they’re starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?

Goodreads Summary




Teachers are trusted to help students learn, achieve, and grow.  That is why Rory Miller never expected Mr. Nell to attack her as she walked home from school.  Rory was not Mr. Nell’s first victim.  She was supposed to be number fifteen on his list of murderous conquests.  By chance, Rory was able to escape, but now Mr. Nell is on the hunt.  Once he decides a girl meant to die, he is practically unstoppable.  In an attempt to protect Rory and her family, the FBI places them in the Witness Protection Program.  At the strange island they now call home, Rory has to wonder if she is really safe.  Signs of Mr. Nell’s presence seem to surround her and people on the island keep disappearing.  Will Rory ever be truly safe again?  
Kate Brian is a very talented author.  Her ability to switch between Rory and Mr. Nell’s points of view added so much to Shadowlands.  I had trouble going to sleep at night when I first started this novel.  I cannot imagine being hunted and having to leave me life behind.  Brian worked a twist into Shadowlands, as well.  I will not spoil the ending, though!  You will have to read for yourself.
The author deals with a scary subject in this novel, so readers should definitely be fourteen or older.  I am nineteen, and this book still affected me!  


4 1/2 Stars

*Reviewed by Chelsea*



Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Addie R. said...:

    Wow, this sounds super creepy! I can't wait to read this! xD

  1. Cassi said...:

    This sounds great! I love Kate Brian's other books, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Thanks for a great review!

  1. I continue to hear nothing but great things about Shadowlands. The cover grabbed me when I first saw it but when I read the premise I wasn't too sure if I would enjoy the story. I think I may have judged wrong. And it seems like maybe there is a subtle paranormal element thrown in, and I like that. I am going to have to go ahead and add this to the TBR