Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson
Posted by Krystal Larson at 6:02 PM Monday, November 26, 2012
When pampered Jacqueline Abington secretly elopes with the family gardener, she asks another woman to take her place on the much anticipated maiden voyage of the Titanic. Tessa Yarborough hails from a poor corner of London but has been granted the opportunity of a lifetime--a ticket to sail to America aboard a famed vessel. But there's a catch: she must assume Jacqueline's identity. For the first time in her life, Tessa stays in luxurious quarters, dresses in elegant gowns, and dines with prestigious people. Then a wealthy American man takes an interest in her, and Tessa struggles to keep up the ruse as she begins falling for him. When tragedy strikes, the game is up, and two women's lives are forever changed.
Queen of the Waves is a fantastic Titanic story. First off, the movie absolutely traumatized me. I was in the third grade and saw people jumping from the ship, Jack freaking died… oh my god! I was a mess. That’s why when I saw this book had something to do with the Titanic, I was leery. I’ve never read a book on the Titanic, so I thought I’d give it a try. You don’t hear screams in a book.
Jacqueline is privileged; her parents want her to marry someone she doesn’t love. Instead, she fell for the gardener, Peter. She wants to stay where she is, she does not want to live in her grandmother’s house, and the two of them make plans to get Peter’s sister, Tessa, on board instead. Tessa is abused by her father. Peter wanted a better life for his sister, so the plan was set. Tessa went through training to become an heiress and was finally ready for her voyage. Little did they know, this little devious plan would affect them greatly… and not for the good.
This book didn’t disturb me at all like the movie. Instead, it was an enjoyable ride. Don’t get me wrong, the sinking of the ship was still awful to read about, but the plot was so interesting I had to know what was next. Jacqueline and Tessa are strong characters who know what they want. It’s hard being a woman during those times, but both of them held their heads up high and took on the world. Just because you know the ending of Titanic doesn’t mean you know the ending of the characters. My heart bled and soared with the characters’ feelings. The plot had nice pacing; I didn’t skim any pages. There wasn’t a lot of romance, which was fine with me… it didn’t take anything away from the plot. If you’re like me and are iffy about a Titanic book, don’t worry about this one. I recommend it for you too!
*Reviewed by Rachel*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (323)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Christmas Giveaway Books Hop!!!
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- Regine’s Book: A Teen Girl’s Last Words By: Regine...
- Poseidon and the Sea of Fury Book Blast and Giveaw...
- Almost Christmas Giveaway!!! (INT)
- That's a loaded question. So many ways to answer...
- Keegan's Chronicles Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Courting Cate by Leslie Gould
- First Time: The Legend of Garison Fitch: Book Blas...
- HarperCollins News!
- Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- The Consul General's Wife by Aliefka Bijlsma
- Crossroads Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Bluff by Lenore Skomal
- Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling by Laura L May...
- Dead Running by Cami Checketts
- Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson
- Secrets by Tim Mettey
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett
- The Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann
- Wisteria Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dreaming of Summer Giveaway Hop! -- US / CAN
- Adrift In the Sound by Kate Campbell
- Mona Lisa's Room: Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- Ava's Pleasure Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Wildflower Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Strangers in the Land (The Zombie Bible) by Stant ...
- The Watch Dog by Sandy Lo: Interview and Giveaway!...
- Breathless Press Shout-Out and Giveaway!
- Brochure Printing at PrintRunner!
- Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- The Bracelet by Roberta Gately
- RaShelle Workman: Interview and Giveaway (link at...
- Highland Magic Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- A Merry Little Christmas by: Anita Higman
- Aliefka Bijlsma: Interview and Book Feature!
- GPS With Benefits Shout-Out!
- The Archived By: Victoria Schwab
- Romeo Redeemed By: Stacey Jay
- The Making of Us By: Lisa Jewell
- Between You and Me By: Emma McLaughlin and Nicole ...
- Thankful for Books Giveaway!
- The Random Book About the Power of ANYone by Talia...
- The Masada Protocol by Lee Brand
- The Door in the Sky by Sandy Klein Bernstein
- The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
- Targets of Deception by Jeffrey S. Stephens
- Shadow City by Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Hocus Pocus Hotel by Michael Dahl
- Glass Heart by Amy Garvey
- Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
- Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
- Forgotten Lyrics Free Ebook Promo!
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- Becoming your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Ins...
- The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelor by...
- Breathe by Sarah Crossan
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- The Emerald Talisman Promotion!
- Massive 23 Book Giveaway! US/CAN
- Secrets of the Red Box Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Miracle Inspector By Helen Smith
- Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway: Review and Giveaw...
- Deity by Jennifer L Armentrout
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- ▼ November (66)