Search This Blog

Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett

Monday, November 26, 2012

Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)


MAGICAL TRICKS. DEMONIC TREATS. After narrowly escaping her fate as a sacrificial scapegoat, Arcadia Bell is back to normal. Or at least as ordinary as life can be for a renegade magician and owner of a tiki bar that caters to Earthbound demons. She’s gearing up for the busiest day of the year—Halloween—when a vengeful kidnapper paralyzes the community. The influential head of the local Hellfire Club taps Cady to track down the fiendish bogeyman, and now that she’s dating red-hot Lon Butler, the Club’s wayward son, she can hardly say no.

Cady and Lon untangle a gruesome thirty-year trail of clues that points to danger for the club members’ children. But locating the person behind the terror will require some metaphysical help from Cady’s loyal bar patrons as well as her potent new Moonchild powers—and she’d better figure it out before the final victim disappears and her own darkest secret becomes her biggest enemy.

Goodreads Summary



This second book in the series made me want to read the first, so after reading Kindling the Moon I was ready for action. When you read other reviews on Goodreads and Amazon they all talk about how amazing the love between Lon and Arcadia is. I have to say they’re completely 100% right! My gosh! It’s like a match made in heaven. Both of them have each other’s backs and they act like they’ve been married for quite some time. They work as a team, not individually. Lon’s son, Jupe, is also a wonderful character. Almost all the time teenagers in books are moody, have some sort of war with their parent, and have so much angst you just want to skip those parts. In this book, it was a wonderful relief to see how nice and caring he is. No tantrums or “I hate you get away from me whaaaaa!” that makes readers roll their eyes. The plot moved at a great pace; nothing was too fast or too slow.

I do have to give ONE criticism. During the book, Arcadia has some “oops” moments that make me want to take her by the shoulders and shake her. It’s not fair for me to say because the actions she takes have a back-story, but it still was annoying. Also, the mystery aspect was kind of off. The readers know who the bad guy is within a few chapters, so if you’re looking for a huge twist you’ll already know it before anyone says anything. Don’t get me wrong, there are twists, but the biggest one was a let down.

What steals the book are the characters… watching them grow is exciting to see and I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy. Bennett is an amazing author and I became a huge fan!


4 Stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*

Find this book:



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! It sounds like a great read and i'll have to check out the first book in the series too!

  1. Evie said...:

    I'm glad that the teenager character is not annoying and it looks like there's a lot of action in this book.

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I haven't started this series yet but I definitely want to!