A Merry Little Christmas by: Anita Higman
Posted by Krystal Larson at 5:13 PM Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Fall in love with this cozy story about two people from different worlds. Franny Martin is an Oklahoma farm girl who's preparing to spend the holidays alone...again. Then Charlie Landau shows up one day, all wealth and polish, and offers to buy Franny's farm. Franny has no money to speak of, but she is clever and spirited, and she's more than happy to sell the farm and move to the city. As Sinatra croons from the radio and Christmas descends upon her charming farm, Franny teaches Charlie the curious and sometimes comical ways of country life. In the process, they unearth some discoveries of the heart--that sometimes love comes when you're least ready for it. Will the holidays bring their most impossible dreams within reach?
I love all the feelings that Christmas evokes, so the title and the cover
illustration made me excited about starting the book. I was disappointed
that the story didn’t have as much Christmas as I expected. Also - since
their quick friendship and romance takes place on Franny Martin’s Oklahoma
farm, more scenes between Franny and Charlie Landau might have added humor
to the story. It’s silly, but I also like to “learn” something from a
story…and I don’t know anything about farming or livestock. It would have
been great to hear more. Then too, Charlie’s family circumstances seemed
too much – the money, the brother’s problems, his mother just a memory,
his father such an impossibly demanding, controlling jerk…who changes so
abruptly in the end.
Now that my criticisms are out of the way, here are the story’s strengths
for me. I liked Franny; she talks to God, loves her hogs, loves music,
and hums Christmas Sinatra. It doesn’t make sense to admire fictional
characters, but so many - like Higman’s Franny – are forgiving, are
willing to see that really mean, crabby people might act that way for a
reason that we need to forgive and understand. Nearly impossible for me.
Also, I didn’t get much of a farming lesson, but Higman does supply a
history lesson. Franny sees the stoned radio station employee, other
memories of the sixties…and worse, the prejudice that exists in the big
city and in her small town. I was shocked to see Jim Crow still happening
in the 1960s!? Franny’s action on the tractor to defeat the prejudice is
great! When Noma befriends Franny, I loved Noma’s character: patience,
strength, and wisdom. The final justice that Charlie and Franny are able
to get for her adopted Uncle George made me cheer.
Three and a Half Stars
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (332)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Christmas Giveaway Books Hop!!!
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- Regine’s Book: A Teen Girl’s Last Words By: Regine...
- Poseidon and the Sea of Fury Book Blast and Giveaw...
- Almost Christmas Giveaway!!! (INT)
- That's a loaded question. So many ways to answer...
- Keegan's Chronicles Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Courting Cate by Leslie Gould
- First Time: The Legend of Garison Fitch: Book Blas...
- HarperCollins News!
- Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi
- The Consul General's Wife by Aliefka Bijlsma
- Crossroads Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Bluff by Lenore Skomal
- Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling by Laura L May...
- Dead Running by Cami Checketts
- Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson
- Secrets by Tim Mettey
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett
- The Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann
- Wisteria Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dreaming of Summer Giveaway Hop! -- US / CAN
- Adrift In the Sound by Kate Campbell
- Mona Lisa's Room: Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- Ava's Pleasure Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Wildflower Blog Tour: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Strangers in the Land (The Zombie Bible) by Stant ...
- The Watch Dog by Sandy Lo: Interview and Giveaway!...
- Breathless Press Shout-Out and Giveaway!
- Brochure Printing at PrintRunner!
- Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- The Bracelet by Roberta Gately
- RaShelle Workman: Interview and Giveaway (link at...
- Highland Magic Excerpt and Giveaway (INT)!
- A Merry Little Christmas by: Anita Higman
- Aliefka Bijlsma: Interview and Book Feature!
- GPS With Benefits Shout-Out!
- The Archived By: Victoria Schwab
- Romeo Redeemed By: Stacey Jay
- The Making of Us By: Lisa Jewell
- Between You and Me By: Emma McLaughlin and Nicole ...
- Thankful for Books Giveaway!
- The Random Book About the Power of ANYone by Talia...
- The Masada Protocol by Lee Brand
- The Door in the Sky by Sandy Klein Bernstein
- The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
- Targets of Deception by Jeffrey S. Stephens
- Shadow City by Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Hocus Pocus Hotel by Michael Dahl
- Glass Heart by Amy Garvey
- Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
- Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
- Forgotten Lyrics Free Ebook Promo!
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- Becoming your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Ins...
- The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelor by...
- Breathe by Sarah Crossan
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- The Emerald Talisman Promotion!
- Massive 23 Book Giveaway! US/CAN
- Secrets of the Red Box Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Miracle Inspector By Helen Smith
- Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway: Review and Giveaw...
- Deity by Jennifer L Armentrout
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- ▼ November (66)