Search This Blog

The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

Sunday, July 1, 2012
Emmeline Thistle has always had a mysterious bond with cows, beginning on the night of her birth, when the local bovines saved the infant cast aside to die in the forest. But Emmeline was unaware that this bond has also given her a magical ability to transform milk into chocolate, a very valuable gift in a kingdom where chocolate is more rare and more precious than gold or jewels. Then one day Owen Oak, a dairyman’s son, teaches Emmeline to churn milk into butter—and instead she creates a delicious chocolate confection that immediately makes her a target for every greedy, power-hungry person in the kingdom of Anglund. Only Owen loves Emmeline for who she truly is, not her magical skill. But is his love enough to save her from the danger all around her?
In a departure from her contemporary teen romances, Suzanne Selfors crafts an irresistible re-imagined fairy tale that will tempt readers with a delicious story of love that is sweeter than the richest chocolate.

Goodreads Summary

    This book taught me a value of the phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover.”  When reading the back of the book, I thought the book seemed silly and too young for teen readers.  After reading The Sweetest Spell, I quickly realized that I was wrong.  Selfors wrote a fun book, with a good plot, strong characters, and good lessons.  The plot of the book is about a collapsing kingdom with two defined groups of citizens.  The lesser citizens, the Flatlanders, are blamed for the loss of a delicacy, chocolate and are persecuted because of it.  One Flatlander girl is seen as completely undesirable.  Emmeline Thistle was born with a curled foot and was left in the forest to die, but did not.  She survived because of four local cows that kept her warm and fed until Emmeline was returned to her family.  The event caused Emmeline’s community to think of her as unlucky and strange.  Emmeline now must face another hardship.  Her village has been washed away by a raging river and she is one of the only survivors.  This is where the second main character comes into the story.  Owen Oaks found Emmeline in the river, alive, but near death and saves her.  He does not care that she is a Flatlander.  As they spend time together, he helps her discover that she possesses a rare and highly desirable talent that could save the kingdom. 
    Selfors has a great talent.  She is able to tell a memorable story.  The Sweetest Spell would most likely be enjoyed by female readers, but female readers of any age.  I don’t think we ever out grow a good story with good messages.  Love whoever you want and be the most you can be.  This book earns five out of five stars.   

5 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

12 comments:

  1. I have to say that it sounds great. I have never read book like this before. I can't imagine world like that. I need to read this book as soon as possible! :)

  1. Anna said...:

    I'm not going to lie but the summary does sound pretty silly to me. But it's definitely not something I've read before. Thanks for the review!
    World of Books

  1. Unknown said...:

    Wow. You're right. The blurb does seem silly and too young. O.o but I'll give it a shot if it got 5 stars!

  1. Addie R. said...:

    I've heard of this before but haven't seen any reviews on it so yours was helpful. This sounds really unique and intriguing!
    Thanks for the review:))

  1. Alyssa Susanna said...:

    I'm going to be honest... I have never seen this book before, nor have I heard of the author. lol. Emmeline is an...intersting name. I do judge books by covers. This cover is not horrible, and I might give it a try. 5 stars is an amazing rating!
    Thanks for the review!!!

    Alyssa Susanna

  1. Dyniy said...:

    I am one who looks at the cover and goes from there. I love this cover but the content sounds awefully lame. I usually find your reviews to be right on so I'm going to give it a chance. Thanks for the review. I can't wait to see what you find worth 5 stars.;-)

  1. Lili said...:

    Honestly, I've never heard of this book before, but you made me totally want to check it out! It looks cute.

    I always tell myself that I'll never judge a book by its cover, but I have a hard time picking up a book if the cover doesn't appeal to me!

  1. I am so bad for judging a book by it's cover. Honestly I have been burned by pretty covers many times. I am glad that this one surprised you!!

  1. Unknown said...:

    aww yes what a great lesson! Love who you want and be the best you can be! Sounds like a tragic start but a beautiful story. Interesting world since they no longer have chocolate! At least Emmeline finds her talent and helps save the kingdom. A very enjoyable lesson anytime indeed.

  1. OMG no chocolate???? I could never survive!!!!

  1. I am glad that you wrote a review for this book. I will be honest and say that I thought this sounded like a silly, goofy book for little ones under 10. I think I will adopt a new saying in honor of this book. Don't judge a book by its synopsis, either!

  1. Anjelica said...:

    This looks amazing...the power to make chocolate, how cool is that!?