Search This Blog

Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit

Monday, July 30, 2012

What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival?
Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.
Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger.
But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?


Goodreads Summary


This book caused me to lose so much sleep!  I could not stop reading because I had to find out what was going to happen to Tess, the main character.  Tess has been forced to take on her sister’s sentence and work in the Chosen Ones mansion.  Beautiful, brilliant, and the perfect killers, the all male, artificial human army of Chosen Ones protect the Western United States.  Since the Fourth World War, the country has been divided.  The East and West fight ruthlessly in the shattered Midwest.  Worst of all, the women of the world are sterile.  Humanity is going extinct.
    Tess tries as hard as she can not to feel.  Her goals are to survive and work.  These goals change after she meets James, a Chosen One who shares her love of reading and music.  The more her relationship with James develops, the deeper she becomes involved in a movement to resist the oppressive West Government.  Will Tess escape tyranny?
I loved Tess’s character.  She wasn’t the typical heroine who needed a hero.  She maintained a strong exterior while still flirting with romance with love interest James.  James was a good character, but did not outshine Tess.  He had that charismatic feel about his character.  The book focused on these two, but some of the secondary characters were developed well too.  The plot was unique.  Mass infertility and a dystopic feel will leave the reader fanatically turning the pages.  This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

4 Stars
      
Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Lili said...:

    I'm really loving Entangled Publishing. They're coming out with some AWESOME reads these days. This looks like it'll make the companies rep even better. I will definitely be giving this a shot now that I have read your review. Thank you for sharing with us and happy reading!

  1. Pam said...:

    Sounds like a great read. I love when a good can keep my attention so much that I stay up til early morning trying to finish it. :) I'm intrigued by the mass infertility and the creation of the Chosen Ones.

    Thank you for the review!

  1. I don't know what I'm doing having not read this yet - and now, with your review, I want to even more . . . I really need to get on that!!

  1. I love this author, and I have been interested in this book for a long time. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it is definitely in my plans. I love that Tess can love someone and not lose herself. That is such a wonderful thing. It should be used more often. I really think that I will like this one a lot. A unique plot, great characters. Yep, this is a winner and I haven't even read it yet!