Search This Blog

Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by Joey Green

Monday, July 23, 2012

A book that proves idiocy is as old as timeThink civilization has deteriorated and that people these days are dumber than ever? Dumb History proves that we didn’t invent stupidity in the 21st century. You’ll find facts from throughout the ages about everyone from Cleopatra and Napoleon to Elvis Presley and even NASA scientists. Consider this:
In 820 C.E., Emperor Hsien Tsung’s herbalist presented him with an anti-aging elixir—it killed him In 1849, Brooklyn inventor Walter Hunt invented and patented the safety pin and then sold all the rights to his invention for $400. By the time he died penniless, the United States was producing an estimated five billion safety pins annually In 1967, voters in the town of Picoaza, Ecuador, elected a brand of foot powder as their new mayor
 It’s a wonder we’ve survived as long as we have.

Goodreads Summary

It truly is a wonder we've survived as long as we have.   This book made me laugh over and over.  I loved the small blurbs, they were just the right length to get the punchline across.  There is not one person exempt from this kind of book, we all know we've done a few hysterical things-though maybe not funny or ironic enough to write about. 

The readers will learn plenty of random facts they can later tell others when searching for a random conversation topic.  The book doesn't organize the blurbs, but that isn't too much of a detraction.  This book is small, but doesn't have to be read all at once.  Funny tidbits are better when read slowly...and with great aplomb.  There is no end to the mistakes and bad decisions that leaders, actors, singers, etc... have made over the ages.  This book is recommended to teen/young adult/adult readers.

4 Stars

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

8 comments:

  1. Birgit said...:

    Ha, this sounds totally like my kind of read! Thanks for introducing me to this book! :-)

  1. Denise Z said...:

    You have to love this ironic tidbits of fact. Definitely reading for a smile. My son would love this one. Thank you for sharing it with us:)

  1. I like the title :D
    Is it supposed to be on humor genre?

  1. clenna said...:

    I love this book. It sounds like I'd be laughing constantly.

    Clenna at aol dot com

  1. Lili said...:

    Idiocy really is as old as time. That seems to be a new fact that I discover when I talk to certain people lol. I'm glad this book made you laugh, I'm really in need of a book like that, so this book has definitely found its way onto my TBR list.

    Thank you for the review!

  1. Vonnie said...:

    I want to read this. I like learning about the dumb things people have done.

  1. Lauren A. said...:

    Sounds like a good book! The cover is hilarious :D