Search This Blog

Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gates

Thursday, July 12, 2012



In the quaint town of Middleburg, an abandoned train yard and old railroad tracks form the dividing line between two rival gangs--the posh, preppie Toppers and the working-class Flatliners. When Raphael, the leader of the Flatliners, falls in love with Aimee, a Topper girl, the rival gangs prepare to do battle.

Goodreads Summary

The book first appears to have an almost Romeo/Juliet theme, but as the reader continues through the book, he/she will find much more to like. The female love interest is from the wealthier area while the male love interest resides in the poorer section. The two probably shouldn't have met each other and fallen in love, but it happens. Aimee and Raphael have an uphill battle if they stand a chance at staying together.

The romance is not the only focus in the novel. There is also an intriguing paranormal undercurrent that is both confusing and adds a little extra something to the plot. The characters themselves were pretty easy to connect to. The readers will most likely feel badly for Aimee and Raphael. These characters could be the readers' high school friends or family members. When the two gangs are fiercely against one another, the reader can literally feel the tension and simmering hate. When the novel focuses on one gang or another, the reader will love the camaraderie.

This book is certainly a long one, but is worth reading if the reader enjoys fantasy/romance novels. The plot is reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet, the two gangs spice everything up a little, and the ending will leave the reader looking for the next book. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

3 1/2 Stars


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

12 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed there would be anything paranormal about this book by reading the blurb. Huh? Anyway, it sounds really good. A little Outsiders-ish, and I loved the Outsiders. I may have to check this one out!

  1. Alyssa Susanna said...:

    Wow the cover is so busy. There are four people on there? Kind of disorganized. But sci-fi ish. I like it. Wealthy girl, poorer boy. Yes, that does sound like Romeo and Juliet, not that that's a bad thing. I don't minda long read, as long it fulfills. 3.5 stars is okay. Thanks for the review!!!

    Alyssa <3

  1. Anonymous said...:

    This does sound good. I am curious about the paranormal part in it now.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    This does sound good. I am curious about the paranormal part in it now.

  1. PamM said...:

    The book sounds interesting but I hate the fact that Iv'e seen the same couple on 2 other book covers.

  1. Very interesting, I haven't heard about this book yet, but I love that it has Pepe & Sztella on the cover, lol. I swear, those two are everywhere, and obviously too bc they're so HOT!

    It sounds pretty interesting and I always love a good romance book. Great review!

  1. Suz Reads said...:

    I haven't heard of this book but it sounds good! The Romeo & Juliet story is always a good one and can be done in so many different ways! Thanks for the info!

  1. Evie said...:

    I love Gates, he is such a rock star! I loved Dark Territory a lot, it was action packed, full of tension and with some really good romance - in other words: it had everything I want in books! I really like your review, even tho you didn't like the book as much as I did. You did a great job explaining why, though, and for that I admire you!

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall. Thanks for being a part of the tour!

  1. hs said...:

    Dark Territory sounds really good.

  1. Pam said...:

    You say that it reminds you of Romeo and Juliet, but when you mention gangs it reminds me of West Side Story. LOL
    Anyway, Dark Territory does sound good. I like that you have said there is a paranormal undercurrent to it, even if a bit confusing.
    Nice review. Thank you!