Search This Blog

Twilight by Stephanie Meyers

Monday, March 26, 2012
Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife-between desire and danger.Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.

Goodreads Summary


Yes, I’m going to be the person to review Twilight. I read this book when it first came out in 2005. I was 15 years old and hated books. My friend recommended it to me, so I thought “meh, why not?” After reading I was hooked, everything was about Twilight. I tried to get my friends to read it, I couldn’t wait for the next book to come out, yadda yadda yadda.
I just picked up the book last week to re-read it and my view altered. I thought to myself “what changed? I loved this book!” Bella is whiney while Edward is conflicted and it goes on for more than half the book. The reason why most adults don’t like Twilight is because of the target audience. It still baffles me how I can change from loving a book to not want it in my hands again. Then again, I did re-read the fourth book and liked it. So let’s not get too hasty. I also saw every Twilight movie on its midnight release. Hey, it was a tween favorite of mine. *Shrugs*
The reason why I’m writing this review is to be on both sides. Twilight is a good read for girls that are into drama and conflicted love, and women who like to kill time. No, it doesn’t have the best writing. No, it doesn’t have strong characters. Yes, some of Bellas actions are extremely confusing. Yes, the vampires sparkle. This being said: if you’re iffy about reading the book, I think you should watch the movie first because it goes by the plot line. If you like what you saw then read it.
This review is all opinion based so if you disagree with what I’m saying write a comment rebutting your answer. I’d like to hear your side. What appeals Twilight to adults and children? What doesn’t?
3 Stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*

7 comments:

  1. Lalaine said...:

    Wow this is the first time ive read a review about Twilight. Ive never read this book ever, only the movie though I liked the movie because of the casts, I dont ever see myself reading this series in the future. :) I loved your review Krystal though, a very honest one. <3

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

  1. Nah. Sparkling vampires? :(

  1. Rachel said...:

    @Lalaine: It was actually my review. ;)

    I'm glad you found it honest... someone needs to be.

  1. I love that you reviewed Twilight, freaking highlight of my day! The way you feel about this book is exactly how I feel. I think the only difference was I was ten when I first read this book.. I'm not sure what I loved about Twilight when I was younger maybe it was the sparkling vampire thing or maybe I thought Edwards possessiveness was cute? I don't know. All I do know is Twilight is a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't especially like the movies or books, it's just something that's in my life. Does that make sense?

  1. I read all of the books as soon as they came out and I have seen the movies. I loved the books at the time, think the movies are pretty lame, but I just have to see them all. It's some weird pull. After reading your review, I am thinking I may read the books again myself. I am curious to see if and how my views may have changed. I have read so many genuinely amazing books since then (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, to name one), and I am interested in how Twilight would stand up in my mind now. Thanks for your review!

  1. _yay_ said...:

    I really like the books (except for the 4th one) and watched the movies (not all that great, but fun & enjoyable).
    I think a lot of ppl expect too much of this series. All these comparisons being drawn between Twilight and Harry Potter or The Hunger Games? Imo, that makes no sense. The latter are much more complex, have more depth, so of course the movies will be slightly more "artsy" (for lack of a better word). As in: better actors & such.

    I should also add...normally I'm not much of a pnr YA fan. I prefer YA contemporary. I mostly read adult books.

    I think its perfectly normal to LOVE a book at age 15 & feel differently abt it years later. When I started reviewing I became waaaay more critical. That plays a big role as well. A book I couldn't put down "back then" might end up with a "3 star" rating today.

    _yay_ @ BookthatThing!

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. I did go on to read the rest of the series so it must have been ok! I'm definitely older than the target audience though!