Search This Blog

Red by Kait Nolan

Thursday, August 18, 2011


Every fairy tale has a dark side...

Elodie Rose has a secret. Any day, she’ll become a wolf and succumb to the violence that’s cursed her family for centuries. For seventeen years she’s hidden who and what she is. But now someone knows the truth and is determined to exterminate her family line. Living on borrowed time in the midst of this dangerous game of hide and seek, the last thing Elodie needs to do is fall in love. But Sawyer is determined to protect her, and the brooding, angry boy is more than what he seems. Can they outsmart a madman? And if they survive, will they find a way to beat the curse for good?


Excerpt:

I was thirteen when I found out why my mother left me.

It seems important to start my story there. The moment when everything changed and my life became a nightmare. The moment when my mother’s madness began to infect my father. Infect me.

The letter that came on my birthday that year was such a shock to my poor dad. So many times, I’ve wished I’d thrown it away. That I’d never let him see it. But at thirteen, I couldn’t wrap my brain around the enormity of what my mother was imparting. I thought it was a joke at first. A cruel one.

Dad didn’t. Instead of believing that she was mad, he took her words as the cold, hard truth. That I am a monster, just waiting for the proper catalyst to be unleashed. That I am cursed as she was.

Today I know it’s true.

Goodreads Summary


Elodie is the descendant of the woman who perpetrated the myth of Little Red Riding Hood.  Elodie's family's journal contains almost horror stories about the curse that is passed down, one that will soon be passed down to Elodie.  Elodie is a strong character, she actually takes the idea of the curse quite well.  When Elodie does not immediately experience the affects of the curse, she begins to think she dodged the proverbial bullet.  However, just as soon as she thinks she is out of the woods, she begins to transition to a werewolf.

Right after the beginning of her transformation, Sawyer walks in.  He is darkly handsome and a bit of an enigma.  He appears to truly care for Elodie.  They begin to form a friendship which has potential for something more.  Just when Elodie begins to feel safe again, an insane hunter takes the scene...he has been hunting Elodie's family for generations.

This is a good read, a perfect blend of the paranormal and romance.  The characters are perfect, the plot is intriguing, and the events are fast-paced.  This book is great for young adults/teens who enjoy romance/paranormal.

4 Stars

0 comments: