Search This Blog

The Stranger By: Max Frei

Wednesday, January 16, 2013



Max Frei was a twenty-something loser-a big sleeper (that is, during the day; at night he can't sleep a wink), a hardened smoker, and an uncomplicated glutton and loafer. But then he got lucky. He contacts a parallel world in his dreams, where magic is a daily practice. Once a social outcast, he's now known in his new world as the "unequalled Sir Max." He's a member of the Department of Absolute Order, formed by a species of enchanted secret agents; his job is to solve cases more extravagant and unreal than one could imagine-a journey that will take Max down the winding paths of this strange and unhinged universe.

Goodreads Summary


The Stranger is written by a huge best-selling novelist in Russia named Svetlana Martynchik, his pen name is Max Frei. When reading other reviews on this book, I saw readers who understand Russian say the book was not as good as the original. Well, guess what? I don’t know any Russian, so I have nothing to compare it to. That being said, I took the book for what it is and the book didn’t disappoint me at all! I do have to say it took me awhile to actually get into the storyline. It’s not slow; the plot was a little confusing and didn’t hold my interest, at times. After a while, I started to get into it and ended up wanting more.

If the reader has to have certain plot point questions answered, then he/she might be disappointed. This book will leave the reader with many questions about the main character, how magic works, and other little tidbits that the reader will have to imagine for him/herself. It was confusing at first because the story didn’t really seem to flow together, but after a few chapters I understood that they’re short stories. If you pick up the book, now you know so you’re not confused.  Overall, I liked The Stranger; it was entertaining and I’ll definitely pick up the second.

4/5 Stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository




This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

0 comments: