Search This Blog

Poison by Bridget Zinn

Thursday, January 10, 2013


Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

Goodreads Summary


Twists and turns carry Poison forward.  Kyra is on the run after trying to murder her best friend who just so happens to be the future ruler of the kingdom.  In a vision, Kyra sees Princess Ariana destroying the kingdom and knows that she must stop her from ascending the throne.  After missing Ariana with her poisoned dart, Kyra is forced to flee.  On her journey, Kyra meets some interesting people and has some exciting adventures.
When I started reading, I expected to really love Kyra.  She is normally the type of heroine that I adore, but rather than loving Kyra, I was bored by her.  There is never a scene where Kyra kicks butt or uses her skills.  I was disappointed.  The other characters were more entertaining.  Kyra has an ENCHANTED PIG!  I am so jealous and you should be, too.  In addition to Rosie, the enchanted pig, Kyra has a love interest named Fred.  Fred is really great; he keeps things light and has an epic dog named Langley.  The supporting characters were my favorites in Poison.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Poison and would recommend it to anyone between the ages of twelve and fifteen.  There is not much depth to the story; older readers might be bothered by this, but younger booklovers may not notice.  Bridget Zinn’s writing has an easy flow and snappy dialogue, a great combination that I loved.  I give Poison 4.5 out of 5 stars.  
     

4 1/2 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously? An enchanted pig? What a weird concept but I want to read it to understand it.

  1. Rosie and Langley are the reasons that I just can't miss this book. I am a huge dog lover, so awesome dogs always are a plus. And an enchanted pig absolutely makes me jealous, and it really makes me want to read it so I can know what an enchanted pig is enchanted to do. All in all, this sounds like a short and sweet, kind of cutesy read that would be great for a day when that is just the medicine!