Search This Blog

Ashen Winter by: Mike Mullin

Monday, January 14, 2013



It’s been over six months since the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano. Alex and Darla have been staying with Alex’s relatives, trying to cope with the new reality of the primitive world so vividly portrayed in Ashfall, the first book in this series. It’s also been six months of waiting for Alex’s parents to return from Iowa. Alex and Darla decide they can wait no longer and must retrace their journey into Iowa to find and bring back Alex’s parents to the tenuous safety of Illinois. But the landscape they cross is even more perilous than before, with life-and-death battles for food and power between the remaining communities. When the unthinkable happens, Alex must find new reserves of strength and determination to survive.

Goodreads Summary

First off, don’t read this book if you haven’t read Ashfall. I was very confused and had to track down and read the first (which was awesome). In the second book, Ashen Winter, we see Alex and Darla six months after the first book ended. My biggest enjoyment out of this whole book was seeing their relationship grow. Both Alex and Darla are compatible and I really connect with the love they have for each other. If you see all my other reviews, my stars are mostly based on how well I liked the characters. If the plot is bad, but I like the people in them, I keep reading. The plot in this book was very interesting and had me rapidly turning the pages.  I loved how the invested the characters were in each other-when Darla is taken, Alex is determined to get her back no matter the cost!

My feelings were invested in all their decision making. The pacing was fast and action packed! I was glued to every page, nothing was slow or left me bored. It was seriously like BAM! This happened BAM! That happened, BAM! Twists and turns were everywhere... this is a book I couldn’t put down, which hasn’t happened to me in a while. If you’re looking for thrills, action, romance and suspense all packed into one book, this book is for you!

5/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*

Find this book:



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I'll have to start this series.

    Thanks for sharing about it.

  1. Daniela said...:

    Got it. I need Ashfall first, then I am DEFINITELY getting this one!

  1. Unknown said...:

    I really want to read this one! Glad your review was good. I have to read Ashfall, which also sounds amazing. Both books are on my TBR list!