Search This Blog

The 13th Sign by Kristin O’Donnell Tubb

Thursday, January 10, 2013


What if there was a 13th zodiac sign?

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign.

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s.

What about the rest of the world?

What if you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change—and infuriating the other 12 signs?

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend on it.

Goodreads Summary


This book was a pleasant surprise for me because I do not normally read books meant for younger audiences.  I expected a much darker novel and almost felt duped by the cover when I first started reading.  Despite my initial doubts, I enjoyed learning about the zodiac as I read.
In Jalen’s world, the zodiac determines your personality.  After Jalen accidentally released the 13th sign, Ophiuchus, she changed the personalities of everyone she knew.  It is now her responsibility to restore the zodiac.  Jalen is challenged and tricked throughout her adventure and must learn to use everything she has to succeed.
I have read more exciting novels than this one, but think that Jalen was a strong character, overall.  The supporting characters were not as memorable for me, but this is probably a result of the personality changes.  Inconsistent characters are less distinctive and I have a harder time connecting with them.  However, the plot was phenomenal, I can’t think of any other book pulling together such a unique plot line.
The 13th Sign is a great book for children between the ages of 10-13.  This audience would enjoy the action and plot line.  I give the novel 3.5 out of 5 stars.      

3 1/2 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*



Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoy kid books, but where I might run into issues with this one is the zodiac. I don't really believe in it past general fun. An entire book based on serious zodiac involvement? Hard to swallow. My best friend, however, would love this. He's all about it, haha.

  1. I enjoy reading MG novels occasionally and I think this is one that I might enjoy. But I will have to say that I did feel a little thrown when I heard that it was an MG. The cover looks like it would be more of a YA horror/suspense story. Either way, it seems like an interesting concept, and a unique one for me. I can't think of another story that deals with the zodiac signs. Could definitely make for a great YA horror!