Search This Blog

The Wanderers by Jessica Miller

Sunday, March 3, 2013




What do you do when you learn your family is the one who's holding all the secrets. Secrets that could get you killed...


Ella is looking forward to starting college in the fall with her best friend Josie. She’s looking for a place where she can get away from her overbearing parents and two older annoying brothers. Unfortunately Ella realizes that sometimes the past comes back to haunt you. 
Ella soon learns that the man who terrorizes her dreams is in fact real and coming after her. 
When one of her classmates is murdered, Ella slowly recognizes this is not some strange coincidence. Ella fears that the boy she’s falling in love with is the one who stalks her dreams and no longer knows who she can trust. 
When she finally learns the truth of her families deepest secret, Ella has to face her demons by taking out one of the people she thought she could trust…before they kill her.

Goodreads Summary




The book starts out with Ella wanting to be independent from her pompous family. She wants to be free (what 12th grader doesn’t, eh?). Once she is accepted into college, she is invited to parties with her friend, Josie, and has a great time. Sororities ask her to be a part of their clan and life is basically good. Life can’t be good, forever, right? In comes the dilemma: her past boyfriend died in a brutal way. Ella is plagued with the incident, and has nightmares about it. She meets a popular cute guy named Tristan and that’s when her life falls to pieces. He’s not portrayed as a bad guy… just a little arrogant and snobby. Her dreams of her past boyfriend’s incident start changing and she thinks it has something to do with Tristan. What is it about him? Why is she starting to feel different?

I have mixed feelings about this book. The characters are great, all of them worked together well and I loved the humor. Ella is a likable character. My heart went out to her and everyone else. Josie was one of my favorite people in the book. She reminds me of me: very spunky and outgoing. Every character was three dimensional and I never felt like we were missing a piece of them. It was all explained and the plot was easy to follow.

Yes, this is a paranormal. I didn’t think it was until halfway through the book. There really weren’t any werewolves changing form or vampires randomly showing up at parties drinking everyone’s blood, but just note that it’s there! The reader might not realize it when reading, but it’ll catch up to you.

Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I really enjoyed this book… I did. The plot sometimes felt a little too slow for me, so I skimmed some pages. I didn’t skip any, just skimmed. Sometimes, I didn’t skim because the dialogue between the characters was interesting and I wanted to read more, but other times I wasn’t interested. I recommend this book for paranormal lovers!


4 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:

Amazon


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Chelsea B. said...:

    As a paranormal lover, I will definitely be giving this one a look! Great review!

  1. I am indeed a paranormal lover, but I can see what you mean. Even reading the blurb seemed a little slow. I'm intrigued, but not consumed. Still, I might dig it, so thanks for the review!

  1. Well, skimming isn't as bad as skipping but it still gives me pause. I have a hard time when I am bored while reading because I want to skim, or skip altogether, and I do but it makes me feel so bad. Anyway, I might give this one a chance. Great characters is a huge advantage in my opinion. And I always like it when the paranormal sneaks up on you!

  1. Unknown said...:

    This sounds interesting and I have been really into the whole paranormal genre lately, but I hate when a book is so slow that I want to skim or skip pages. Then I feel like I miss out on a lot and I would hate to miss an important plot point!