Search This Blog

The 39 Deaths of Adam Strand by Gregory Galloway

Sunday, March 3, 2013




Adam Strand isn't depressed. He's just bored. Disaffected. So he kills himself—39 times. No matter the method, Adam can't seem to stay dead; he wakes after each suicide alive and physically unharmed, more determined to succeed and undeterred by others' concerns. But when his self-contained, self-absorbed path is diverted, Adam is struck by the reality that life is an ever-expanding web of impact and forged connections, and that nothing—not even death—can sever those bonds.

In stark, arresting prose, Gregory Galloway finds hope and understanding in the blackest humor

Goodreads Summary



Adam Strand is a 17 year-old boy that just feels… empty. He feels like life is just “meh” and he wanders on with little enjoyment. He tries to kill himself all the time, but ends up alive the next day by some miracle or another. When someone from the town sees his dead body, they take him home, knowing that he’ll be okay. Adam just feels like a small shell. It’s very sad to think about, suicide isn’t a fun topic, but Galloway reaches out to the readers and takes a spin off of death and how it affects other people. After a while, how does it take a toll on a love one or even a stranger?

I really related to Adam and felt his pain. There’s dark humor in the book and it made me smile on some parts. It wasn’t a huge “HA HA HA”, but just a little giggle here and there. The reader will want to hug Adam and tell him everything will be just fine, even though it’s not going to be. The writing was superb, I felt lost in Galloway’s words. How he described Adam, the people surrounding him, and the actions that take place around him were very straightforward. The plot was very unique which made the book hard to put down. I honestly cannot think of another plot similar to this one. Adam is a good kid, he just needs direction sometimes; his honesty and resilience really connected me to him. The plotline didn’t move too slowly or quickly, it was a nice pace. It was an all-around book that the reader will be loath to forget.

5/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Chelsea B. said...:

    Wow, this novel sounds deep and extremely emotional. I feel like I'd need to be in a certain mood to read this novel. Thank you for sharing a review :-)

  1. Mmmm, I'm glad you said that bit about suicide not being funny, because the blurb makes it seem like it's not much of a big deal. I may check the book out based on your review. Thanks!

  1. I know that the author isn't really making light of suicide. I really do get that. But I just don't know if I can get past the fact that suicide is an automatic go-to when things suck. No matter how bad they suck. It just makes me sick to my stomach. I do like the cover, but I don't think that this is a book that I would be able to read and enjoy.

  1. Unknown said...:

    I think this book sounds great. It happens to be a topic I can relate to, so thanks for reviewing it! I had seen the cover but had never read the description. I am definitely putting it on my ever-expanding TBR list!