Search This Blog

Flash Point by Nancy Kress

Sunday, March 3, 2013



Reality TV meets a chillingly realistic version of America—and the fame game is on!

Amy had dreams of going to college, until the Collapse destroyed the economy and her future. Now she is desperate for any job that will help support her terminally ill grandmother and rebellious younger sister. When she finds herself in the running for a slot on a new reality TV show, she signs on the dotted line, despite her misgivings. And she’s right to have them. TLN’s Who Knows People, Baby—You? has an irresistible premise: correctly predict what the teenage cast will do in a crisis and win millions. But the network has pulled strings to make it work, using everything from 24/7 hidden cameras to life-threatening technology to flat-out rigging. Worse, every time the ratings slip, TLN ups the ante. Soon Amy is fighting for her life—on and off camera.

Goodreads Summary


I tried to like this book, but I ended up feeling so-so about it. First off, while I felt bad for the main character, Amy, and her dilemma with her sick grandmother. I really took her feelings to heart and tried to understand where she was coming from. Sadly, I think Amy is also a “too stupid to live” character, sometimes. I didn’t understand her actions, nor many of her decisions. The plot was very confusing, there were scenes that really had nothing to do with the plot and I ended up skipping pages just to get to the end. The book did show a lot of promise, however, and left me feeling excited when I read the blurb on the front cover.  I was left with so many questions and disappointed when the book ended without a thought of side characters or plot points that weren't fully developed. Amy is likable, but she fell very flat to me. Honestly, it’s just not a book that I particularly liked. I wish my review could be different, but I can’t find anything else, but understanding Amy’s pain. This book would be good for teens/young adults who don’t mind working through trouble connecting to the main character.



3/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Aw ding-dang. I'm sorry to see you thought Flash Point was so-so. I've been looking forward to reading it, but now, because of your review, I'll probably put it to the back bookshelf. I don't think I can enjoy reading of a MC who's a "too stupid to live" character =\ Thank you for your review.

  1. One of the top requirements, or needs rather, for me to love a book is a character/s that I can connect to. That I love, even if I love to hate them. So that is an issue that I am sure would bother me with this one, but the thing that honestly makes me think I won't like it is the whole reality show thing. I am not a fan of the shows on tv, so I just don't think I would be a fan of them in a book

  1. Unknown said...:

    Wow, what a shame. That plot description really sounds awesome. I hate it when a really great idea turns into just a so-so book :(

  1. Hahahahahaha! Moral of the story: Reality TV is killing our children. Sad that Amy is the too stupid character. Darn. I might still give it a try though.