Search This Blog

Soldier Dog by Sam Angus

Monday, March 4, 2013



It’s 1917. In the trenches of France, miles from home, Stanley is a boy fighting a man’s war. He is a dog handler, whose dog must be so loyal that he will cross no-man’s-land alone under heavy fire to return to Stanley’s side, carrying a message that could save countless lives. But this journey is fraught with danger, and only the bravest will survive.

As the fighting escalates and Stanley experiences the true horror of war, he comes to realize that the loyalty of his dog is the only thing he can rely on.
Goodreads Summary


This book is for ages 11+, but it can be enjoyed by adults, as well. Soldier Dog is about a young boy named Stanley in the year 1917 who runs away from his dad because he believes his father killed his dog. He ends up joining the army as a messenger dog-handler. The story revolves around him and his dog during a time of war.

This book is a definite tearjerker. Again, Soldier Dog is aimed for younger readers, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I really felt connected to Stanley and cheered him on throughout the whole book. I loved his courage, intellect, passion, and love. I never felt like his decisions were out of place... he’s very mature for his age. The reader will become connected and invested in his character.  The book focuses more on him than any other character; the secondary characters provide background information and help push the plot along.  The plot was interesting; I never skimmed a paragraph. I kept forgetting that this story isn’t for adults; I lost myself in the pages. The scenes Angus painted were intense and lively. I could paint a picture of what she was thinking about when writing. It was a very inspiring story and I enjoyed it very much. Sad books aren’t really my thing, but this is an exception. I recommend this book to readers of all ages.

5/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    It sounds like a tear jerker but a good read! A great review :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    This sounds like such a great book. I love books with animals in them, and the bond between this and boy and his dog just sounds like a great story!

  1. I want to cry just thinking about this book. But I can't deny my desire to read it.