Search This Blog

White Space by Ilsa J Bick

Monday, January 13, 2014

Ilsa Bick’s WHITE SPACE, pitched as The Matrix meets Inkheart, about a seventeen-year-old girl who jumps between the lines of books and into the white space where realities are created and destroyed – but who may herself be nothing more than a character written into being from an alternative universe, to Greg Ferguson at Egmont, in a two-book deal, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency (NA).

Goodreads Summary

This book was exactly what I expected out of Bick-wonderful!  Emma can somehow see the lives of other people when she "blinks."  Frank McDermott is a famous author with a inquisitive daughter; when Emma blinks into Lizzie McDermott's life, she discovers that Frank has been going in the Dark Passages.  Going into the Dark Passages is a danger in and of itself, but when he takes things from the Dark Passages back to the White Space, he is putting everyone in danger.  The plot continues with an under-feeling of suspense.

I really loved Emma's character.  She was strong, smart, and brave.  I liked that she made some dumb decisions once in a while; it made her seem more relatable.  I did like some of the other characters and I naturally wasn't too fond of Frank; however, I found it hard to follow some of the different point of view's in the book.  I had a difficult time telling the difference between what was virtual and what was real.  I did love the intertwining subplots and the detailed way Bick described the settings.  I was definitely frustrated when I had a hard time figuring out what was going on, but I did love it when I figured it out.  This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I really want to read this the concept is very interesting.

  1. Berenice said...:

    Is this book part of a series? This is the first review I've read on White Space and it really sounds interesting. I love that the main character is smart and brave. I'm adding this one to my 'to-read' list. Awesome review! =)