Search This Blog

A Marriage in Middlebury by Anita Higman

Saturday, January 11, 2014


What happens when the matchmaker finds a match for herself?Charlotte Rose Hill has been serving up country delicacies, uniquely blended teas, and matchmaking advice for her quirky but beloved customers for more than 10 years. But for her, marriage seems like an elusive butterfly, always out of reach. At 18, Charlotte fell in love with a young man, Sam Wilder, but his family convinced her to walk away from their relationship. She did, and then became engaged to another man, who later died before they were married. Now, more than a decade later, Charlotte finds that she still has feelings for her first love. Initially thrilled to learn that Sam has come home to Middlebury, Texas, Charlotte is devastated to learn that he’s brought someone with him: his fiancĂ©e. But all is not lost when the townsfolk decide to get involved. Will Charlotte and Sam find their way back to each other?

Goodreads Summary


It would be interesting to be a matchmaker...but also terrifying.  I would be so afraid that my decision to push two people together could go horrible wrong.  Charlotte, on the other hand, has been a good matchmaker and tea seller for many years.  Unfortunately for the matchmaker, she needs to find a match herself!  It's not so easy to actually pair yourself up with someone.  Charlotte has a bit of a sad story to tell.  She had to leave the love of her life on the advice of his family.  This decision has haunted her for a decade. When he arrives with his potential wife in tow, Charlotte knows that she must do something.  

I'm not usually a fan of starcrossed lovers, but I definitely enjoyed this book.  The author kept everything sweet and upbeat.  I really loved the feel of the book; I am a tea drinker myself.  I thought their history with each other was interesting and well thought-out.  Overall, I would recommend this book to adult readers.

4 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. LAWonder said...:

    I think this sounds fun to read! I am a huge matchmaker (or at least was. I haven't had the opportunity in a fe years.)
    I especially enjoy a story which does not drag,

  1. Berenice said...:

    Awww, this one sounds really sweet! Definitely one to check out. Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it! Fantastic review, thank you =D.