Search This Blog

The Dollhouse Asylum by Mary Gray

Saturday, January 11, 2014
A virus that had once been contained has returned, and soon no place will be left untouched by its destruction. But when Cheyenne wakes up in Elysian Fields--a subdivision cut off from the world and its monster-creating virus--she is thrilled to have a chance at survival.

At first, Elysian Fields,with its beautiful houses and manicured lawns, is perfect. Teo Richardson, the older man who stole Cheyenne's heart, built it so they could be together. But when Teo tells Cheyenne there are tests that she and seven other couples must pass to be worthy of salvation, Cheyenne begins to question the perfection of his world.

The people they were before are gone. Cheyenne is now "Persephone," and each couple has been re-named to reflect the most tragic romances ever told. Everyone is fighting to pass the test, to remain in Elysian Fields. Teo dresses them up, tells them when to move and how to act, and in order to pass the test, they must play along.

If they play it right, then they'll be safe.

But if they play it wrong, they'll die.

Goodreads Summary

I loved everything about this book: the exhilarating action, stupendous plot, and fascinating characters.  The author clearly spent time developing the characters and I grew to love them-especially Cheyenne.  I liked that the book challenged the idea of a relationship between a younger woman and man.  I thought it was so cool (and horrifying) that couples had to pass tests to be "worthy of salvation."  I wondered if I would pass throughout the book.  

I loved the author's connection between the myth of Persephone and the underworld to Cheyenne and more modern day.  I thought the author carried out the twists and turns of this action-packed plot perfectly.  I literally couldn't put this book down; I had to keep turning the pages.  Overall, this book is recommended to young adult/adult readers.

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I love the cover! I have seen mixed reviews but would love to read this.

  1. Berenice said...:

    This cover is way cool. Love it! And it sounds truly interesting. I'm glad to hear you loved it. Might just have to check it out =).