Search This Blog

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor

Tuesday, January 14, 2014




Critically acclaimed author Melissa Kantor masterfully captures the joy of friendship, the agony of loss, and the unique experience of being a teenager in this poignant new novel about a girl grappling with her best friend's life-threatening illness.

Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend.

Even when she isn't sure what to say.

Even when Olivia misses months of school.

Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush.

The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine.

In this incandescent page-turner, which follows in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.


Goodreads Summary


I loved that this book embodied female friendship and I honestly could have done without the romance...though it added a bit of pinache.  When you're young, you feel immortal-as if nothing can hurt or truly kill you.  Olivia and Zoe are still in that stage of youth where they do not feel as if mortality could hold them back.  When Olivia is sick, Zoe thinks that it will be a few days or weeks and Olivia will get better.  However, the longer Olivia's sickness continues, the clearer it becomes that Olivia is far from "ok."  What will Zoe do with such a sick best friend?

I liked both of their characters.  I felt that the author portrayed Olivia's character very well and made her sickness feel real.  The bond between the two girls was very realistic and believable.  I did not want the two to be parted.  Calvin, Olivia's crush and Zoe's potential boyfriend, was an "ok" character.  Aside from a little romance, I did not think that he really added much to the plot.  The ending did not surprise me and I thought the author did a good job of wrapping the book up.  I liked the dialogue between the two girls; it reminded me of chatting with my best friends.  This book is ideal for young adult/teen readers.

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Ooh, I have an eGalley of this one and I can't wait to read it now, your review has made me want to read it even more. I love it when there are stories that feature a friendship the way that this one seems to have done. :)

    Happy Reading!
    Suz @ A Soul Unsung: Book Gossip for the Soul
    TTT: 2014 Debuts I'm Excited For!

  1. LAWonder said...:

    This story sounds like one I'd truly enjoy reading. I enjoy a good "bonding" story and tragedy which is unfortunately part of life.

  1. Berenice said...:

    Maybe One Day sounds like it will break my heart. I like that it deals with two best friends. I'll definitely have to check this one out! =)

  1. Unknown said...:

    This is really my book. Thanks for the great post. Will share this to my bff.