Search This Blog

How To Be Alone by Andrea Dorfman/Tanya Davis

Thursday, January 2, 2014


If you are, at first, lonely be patient. If you've not been alone much or if, when you were, you weren't okay with it then just wait...

Since its debut on YouTube, Tanya Davis's beautiful and perceptive poem, How to Be Alone, visually realized by artist and filmmaker Andrea Dorfman, has become an international sensation. Her wise and perceptive words, vivid in their evocation of solitude's beauty and calm, have touched millions. Now her poem's deep eloquence and compelling illustrations have been adapted for the page in this beautiful, meditative volume, a keepsake to treasure and to share. 

From a solitary walk in the woods to sitting unaccompanied on a city park bench to eating a meal and even dancing alone, Tanya reveals the possibilities and joys waiting to be discovered when we engage in activities on our own. As she soothes the disquietude that accompanies the fear of aloneness, and celebrates the power of solitude to change how we see ourselves and the world, Tanya reavels how, removed from the noise and distractions of other lives, we can find acceptance and grace within.

For those who have never been by themselves and those who feel lost or lonely on their own, this moving work encourages us to recognize and embrace the possibilities of being alone-and reminds us of a universe of joy, peace, and discovery waiting to unfold.

Goodreads Summary


This book was a quaint look on what it means to be on your own.  The poem doesn't reflect on any negative emotions or particular sadness.  The authors reaffirm that it is ok to be fine on your own and enjoy yourself.  I happen to like being on my own some of the time and this was a good little poem to read while I was enjoying myself.  I liked this poem's message: that it is healthy to like being on your own. 

The little illustrations went along well with the poem.  I liked the blend of colors and could tell the authors put some thought into it rather than simply slapping it all together.  I could see this book being an easy and fun read for teen/young adult/adult readers.  

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I'm never lonely even when I'm alone! :)

  1. Berenice said...:

    Aww, this book sounds inspiring. I just looked it up and I will be adding it to my 'to-read' list. Fantastic review, thank you! =)