Search This Blog

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Friday, November 9, 2012

Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)


It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.


Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.


Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

Goodreads Summary


I've never really liked horror books because I get nightmares easily; I wasn’t so sure about picking Girl of Nightmares up. I read the first book in the series and it was FANTASTIC because of the sturdy plot and kick-ass characters... I just had to skim some parts that scared the heck out of me. It didn't take away from the plot; it was just a tad condensed.
Anyway, that's why I was iffy about this one. I really, really wanted to know how the book ended so I finally said to myself "Just put on your big girl panties!"  I'm very happy I picked up the book! I skimmed over the best parts (aka the creepy ones) like the Suicide Forest, which was totally fine. Anna was one of my favorite book characters and I'm really sad I didn't see much of her. Cas definitely mixed things up and took the plot to a whole new level. He's not as cocky in this book which is understandable because of the ending of the first; that really helped the plot. I don't think I could tolerate his original personality in 300 pages. It's not all dark and scary (thankfully) because it also has humor and playful banter between the characters. Carmel and Thomas join us and the teamwork/devotion they have to Anna is heartwarming. Both of them want to help Cas and believe in what he's doing.
There's also a lot of character development. By the end of this book you won’t think Cas ever started out as a condescending jerk, none of the characters are one-dimensional. The plot moved at a fast pace, every page had "adventure" written all over it. Nothing went slowly and dragged on which is great. I didn't even skip the scary parts, just skimmed over them VERY quickly because I didn’t want to lose what happened to the characters. The ending... was phenomenal.  No disappointments as far as the ending goes, everything is tied up nicely. It's not like some endings where it's rushed in the last paragraph. Blake took time to wrap up the scenes and it shows she put a lot of thought into it. Even though I don't like the horror genre, I still ended up loving this one. Pick it up if you have the chance!

4 Stars

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble





This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

0 comments: