Search This Blog

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.

Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.

Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.

More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.

The fuse is lit…

Goodreads Summary

This second book in The Elemental Series and continues the story of the Merrick family, four brothers who can literally control the elements. Spark is told from Gabriel’s point of view. Gabriel can control fire, but sometimes he can’t. Gabriel and his friend Hunter struggle to save fire victims when an arsonist begins lighting deadly fires in his town. There are others problems though, a teacher realized that Gabriel’s twin brother has been taking Gabriel’s math exams for him and now Gabriel could be banned from sports, his favorite outlet. With Layne’s help, a quiet girl from his math class, he might be able to learn math and his element.
I love this series for many reasons. Kemmerer gave each of the Merrick brothers an individual personality and motivation. Gabriel has the personality of a protector; he believes that he should be able to look out for the people he cares about no matter the circumstance and feels guilty if he is unable to. I like reading about a family who look out for each other. Also, these brothers are ruining all guys for me. They are too perfect!
Teen girls will love this novel and the rest of the series. Brigid Kemmerer did a great job using words and phrases teens use daily. The excitement and romance in these books is perfect for anyone aged thirteen or older.

5 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
AmazonBarnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

5 comments:

  1. I need to read this series, I keep seeing it around, good review. :)

  1. Anna said...:

    I can't wait to read this book! I loved the first one and I'm curious to see what else is in store for the brothers. Thanks for the review!

  1. I'm getting ready to start this series after is was recommended to me from Heather at I'm Buried in Books. Hot, swoon-worthy guys, I'm in!

  1. This book sounds so good! It's right up my alley. I just added the whole series to my TBR list on GoodReads :)

  1. Lilian said...:

    I've just read STORM earlier this month, so Spark is next on my list! Thank you for the review!

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox