Search This Blog

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

Monday, July 30, 2012
“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

Goodreads Summary

Anya faces new challenges in this second novel of the Birthright series.  Her sentence to Liberty Children’s Home has ended, but now she does not know what to do.  No high school will admit her and she cannot escape her past.  Win seems to have a new girlfriend and Win’s politician father is determined to exploit Anya to win the upcoming election.  Determined to avoid another stay at Liberty, she travels to Mexico to learn about cacao growing.  She cannot hide from the world, however, and a series of dangerous events force her to return to New York.
    Anya is a brave girl that I admire very much.  She tries very hard to protect her family and make good decisions.  Teen girls would love to read about Anya’s difficult and exciting life.  She manages to keep her head and comes off as intelligent and brave.  Romance between Anya and Win will keep the readers on their toes.  This book is perfect for high school girls and young adult readers.  Zevin has a great writing style that is full of irony and sarcastic humor.  I give this book five out of five stars. 

5 Stars

*Reviewed by Colleen*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Lili said...:

    I absolutely adored Zevin's older book Elsewhere. I couldn't get it out of my head the first time I read it. It seems like this is another one of those types of books. I was unaware that she had another book out. I'll DEFINITELY be checking this one out. Thanks for sharing!

  1. Cyn said...:

    Sounds awesome!

  1. Loraine said...:

    Gah! I can't wait for the next one. Something about Birthright trilogy is addicting. Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/because-it-is-my-blood-by-gabrielle.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

  1. Book was ordered as a gift. Recipient loved the book and was very pleased with the condition of the book upon receipt through the mail.