Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath of War by Sonja Herbert
Posted by Krystal Larson at 11:44 PM Saturday, July 14, 2012
The only life little Sonja Francesco has ever known is traveling the carnival circuit and living with her five siblings in a tiny caravan home. The family never stays anywhere long enough for Sonja to make friends or develop roots. The only one in her family, Sonja always believed in God and wants to belong to a church.
At fourteen, Sonja meets the Mormon missionaries and develops a strong testimony of the truth of the Gospel. But can she live the commandments while traveling with the carnival and running one of the attractions every Sunday? Will it be possible for her to leave her family’s life behind and live the life she has always dreamed of?
How many times have we wished we could be part of a carnival? Sonja, the main character, travels in a caravan home and helps "build" carnivals. Her life may seem exciting, but it is apparent that it may be less than ideal. Margot, Sonja's mother, first started travelling with the carnival to hide during WWII. Margot is not a religious woman, can be a little crass, and rarely fawns over her children. Whether or not Margot knows it, she plays a large part in shaping Sonja's character. Sonja mainly wants her family to appreciate and love her. She doesn't always feel noticed or care about and simply wants to do her best. It could be said that Sonja's loneliness led her to God. Will Sonja's deepening faith lessen or cause trouble with her family?
This memoir is not exactly up-lifting. The readers will most likely find themselves wanting to hug Sonja. Sonja speaks plainly and succinctly in the memoir; the only subject the reader may want to know more about would be Sonja's parents-how did they meet? What happened to Margot during the War? Getting to know Sonja made this book worth reading for me. The book isn't fast-paced, but this isn't a book a reader would probably want to skim through. This book is set in a very topsy-turvy, unsettled time in history, a setting that adds to the novel. Overall, this book is recommended to adult readers.
3 1/2 Stars
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Summer Giveaway Hop!
- 23rd Birthday (Rachel's!) Giveaway!
- Hidden by Sophie Jordan
- Let's Hear It For Almigal Guest Post and Giveaway!...
- Huge Book Giveaway!
- Lazy Days Giveaway!
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
- Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
- Destiny by Gillian Shields
- Once by Anna Carey
- Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
- Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit
- Arson by Estevan Vega: Review and Giveaway!
- Spotlight Giveaway by Author Rebecca Royce
- Gift That Lasts
- Beyond Cover Reveal!
- Book Pushalooza!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Marisette Burges...
- Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
- The Playdate by Louise Millar
- Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by ...
- Tales of the Not Forgotten by Beth Guckenberger
- Obsidian Ebook Giveaway (INT)!
- Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by: Me...
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer...
- Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway by Aut...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lorin Barber
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Review and Gi...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Julie Helm
- Vacation Reads Giveaway!
- Ghost Crown by J. Gabriel Gates; Charlene Keel
- Guest Post and $25 Giftcard (of your choosing!-com...
- Textbook Rental for College Students
- Inescapable by Nancy Mehl
- Guest Post and Giveaway (Gift Basket!) by Author P...
- Darkness Rising by Danielle Blanchard Benson Book ...
- Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath ...
- Absolute Boyfriend Series Giveaway!
- Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gat...
- Summoned by Susan Leigh Noble Guest Post and Inter...
- Summer Loving Giveaway!
- Naming Characters by Leia Shaw: Guest Post and $25...
- Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
- Guest Post by Author Denesha Sheree!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway...
- Guest Post by Author Stephanie Norris!
- Summer Reads Giveaway Hop!
- Gregory Allen - Writing Can Involve Memories
- Guest Post and Ebook Giveaway of Author Christine ...
- Hush Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick Givea...
- Undead by Kirsty McKay
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Laxmi Hariharan
- Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
- Books For Swap
- Guest Post and $50 INT Comment Giveaway!
- Guest Post and $25 Amazon Giftcard International G...
- Guest Post by Author Vanessa Morgan and Giveaway: ...
- Guest Post by Author Jackson Keene
- My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt
- Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman
- YOU'RE INVITED TO A TEAM HUMAN TWITTER CHAT!
- Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson Guest Post and Spotlig...
- The Hidden Life: An Amish Quilt Novel By: Adina S...
- Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Vanishing Girls by Katia Lief
- Five Miles South of Peculiar: A Novel by Angela El...
- Tiger Lily By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Nerd Girls (A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions) ...
- ▼ July (74)