Search This Blog

Undead by Kirsty McKay

Friday, July 6, 2012



Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.

The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.

Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.

But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.

Combining the chill of THE SHINING, the thrill ride of SPEED, the humor of SHAUN OF THE DEAD, and the angst of THE BREAKFAST CLUB, Kirsty McKay's UNDEAD is a bloody mad mash-up, a school-trip splatter-fest, a funny, gory, frighteningly good debut!

Goodreads Summary


Let’s be serious. Who actually enjoys being trapped on a bus full of obnoxious kids in a snowstorm when they really, really have to go to the bathroom? Bobby didn’t want to go on her school trip in the first place, but she never thought it could be so horrible. After stopping at a diner on their way back to school, Bobby decided to stay on the bus with one other student and the bus driver. Then, one of the bratty girls from her class ran back in a panic screaming that their class was dead and their teacher had tried to bite her. Zombies. The entire class and everyone in the diner were now blood/brain hungry zombies. Bobby and her friends are going to have to fight the hordes and figure out what caused the infection in the first place if they have any hope of surviving.
I loved this book. McKay has a way with words and had me laughing from page one. There were times though; when I was afraid and convinced that a zombie was hiding in my closet. Bobby is a great heroine who accepted the situation and did what she could to help everyone. The other characters all had distinct personalities and never faded into the background despite the action and fast-moving plot. I really hope this book is turned into a series; McKay has been added to my list of great authors! I give this novel five out of five stars

5 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and NobleThe Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

21 comments:

  1. SarahS. said...:

    Sounds like a really good book. Great review.

  1. I am not a huge fan of zombie books but this one sounds pretty good. And I like the cover. :)

  1. This book sounds hilarious! I'll definitely need to add this to my TBR.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    This does sound like a good book. I am really into zombie books right now so will have to check this one out.

  1. This sounds really really good! i can't wait to read it!

    Sabrina
    smp0804@hotmail.com

  1. Unknown said...:

    Being on a bus does suck. So hot and claustrophobic. I love zombie books and this one sounds fun. I wonder what happened to all the students in the diner!

  1. Unknown said...:

    This sounds HILARIOUS! :D

  1. Your review made me smile so I can only imagine what the book would do :) I have seen this one around but wasn't sure what I thought and if i would like it but I will be looking into it for sure now!

  1. Steph said...:

    Great review! I hadn't heard of this one before - thanks for sharing it!!

  1. Great review! I've never heard of this before. I may have to add it to my TBR!

  1. Undead has my name written all over it. Funny? Check. Spooky? Check. A mention of the Breakfast Club? Check. Thanks for posting about this one. I can't wait to get this one on my Kindle. I think I may have a sleepless night in my future!

  1. "Better go round and round freakin' fast." Ha! Made me chuckle.

  1. Misty said...:

    Wow, I love a good zombie book. Definitely adding this to my TBR list!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Sounds like a great book! I'll have to definitely put this on my TBR list. Thanks!

  1. Sophia said...:

    I'm not into zombie books, but this one definitely sounds fun and cute! I'm glad you loved it. :)

  1. Tanya said...:

    I'm loving the zombie books right now. This review really made me chuckle so I'm thinking I'm really going to like the book. Thanks!

  1. What an unusual cover. The book sure sounds funny. :)

  1. Thank you for all the great comments! The cover IS unusual, but attention-grabbing :)

  1. Jennifer said...:

    Great review. I must read this one. It sounds like a funny read. Great cover too.

  1. This sounds like a great read, adding it to my wishlist :)

  1. Oh I love a good zombie book! This osunds like it has a kick-ass protag, which is always important when dealing with zombies!

    And I def need to find out how/why they turned into zombies...maybe it's something they ate lol!