Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 11:15 AM Thursday, July 5, 2012
Giveaway: I’m offering five free copies of my new ebook of Annals of the Immortyls. Just leave your name and a comment about your favorite vampire. Winners will be chosen by random drawing. Deadline to enter is 6/8/12 T 11:59 P.M.
I thought I’d talk a bit about inspiration. I write urban fantasy that crosses over a bit into sci fi. My Immortyl Revolution series centers on a sophisticated vampire culture and the various sub-cultures surrounding it. These vamps are biological mutations rather than re-animated corpses. They call themselves, Immortyls. The first book, Cara Mia is told largely from the point of view of a female named Mia Disantini. The story follows a fifty-year struggle for personal freedom that leads her to a laboratory in Southern California.
People often ask me what inspired me to write this book and the others that will follow it. How did I come up with the hierarchy of this culture or the characters? Other writers want to know how I came up with the story. The question isn’t easily answered, because my inspiration comes from many sources.
First off, I’d have to say that reading is my greatest source of inspiration. A writer should be a reader and not just in his or her genre. I’ve read many kinds of books over the years, both fiction and non-fiction. Historical fiction is a favorite of mine. I love authors like Mary Renault, Robert Graves, and Gore Vidal. I’ve also read a lot of the classics.
History and science are favorite non-fiction reading for me. Ancient societies interest me, and I chose to base my vampire culture on elements drawn from various places and times rather than following a lot of the conventions. Books and articles on genetics and biotechnology led me to create a biological vampire rather than a supernatural one. This gave me the over-arching story for the series. Two Factions are involved in trying to corner the market on immortality, while the chief elder and the “old guard” are opposed to the very idea, calling it heresy to suggest that Immortyls are mere biological mutations and not the children of Mother Kali.
I enjoy research. Oftentimes, I’ll come across angles on a subject I hadn’t considered. A while back, I was reading a lot of books on India. The more I read, the more fascinated I became by the rich cultural traditions of this country. This inspired some of the mythology of the world I was building in my Immortyl Revolution series. I read about the plight of the devidasi, female temple artists who were sometimes exploited as courtesans. This led me to create my adepts of the ancient arts, devotees of a tantric cult of Kali, who are used by the Chief Elder to further his political intrigues.
I came to writing from a background in theatre. My first efforts were plays. You’ll find lots of theatrical references in my writing. No surprise that some of my characters are performing artists. My heroine, Mia, was a New York actress in the 1950’s. When her master Ethan discovers her, she’s performing in Ibsen’s The Master Builder. I always loved this play. The plot deals with an older man afraid of the younger generation usurping his success, yet a much younger woman infatuates him. He christens the girl, Hilde, “The Bird of Prey” for her rapacious nature. This inspired a thematic element in Cara Mia and brought a central conflict to the story. Ethan trains Mia to be his “Bird of Prey”, skilled in seduction and the arts of an assassin. Mia represents the new generation of Immortyl and a threat to Ethan’s elder, Brovik.
Inspiration is often found by plowing new intellectual ground. Whenever I’m facing writer’s block, I go to the library or the web. My advice to young writers would be to read everything you can. Pay attention to world events and politics. Follow new discoveries in science. Study different cultures. Observe people around you. The world is full of interesting characters. Capture their mannerisms and quirks and put them through the filter of your imagination. Look at your hobbies and interests. You’ll be surprised what your personal experiences will bring to bear on a story. Who knows what you’ll come up with?
I’d like to thank Krystal for hosting me today and giving me the opportunity to share a little with you. My new releases are Servant of the Goddess and Annals of the Immortyls.
The Immortyl Revolution series is published by L&L Dreamspell. It’s available through the Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Fictionwise websites in trade paperback, Kindle, Nook and multi-format e-book. It’s carried in some bookstores. If your local bookseller doesn’t carry them, they will order the books for you.
If you’d like to purchase author-signed copies, go to my website www.deniseverricowriter.webs.com
and click on the webstore.
SOTG Denise Verrico Links:
My website: http://bit.ly/JhW2sw
Servant of the Goddess Excerpt: http://deniseverricowriter.webs.com/excerptbookfour.htm
My Trailer: http://deniseverricowriter.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12715998-immortyl-revolution-trailer
My amazon Page: http://amzn.to/K3NhVS
Annals of the Immortyls: http://amzn.to/LFErkh
Servant of the Goddess Trade PB: http://amzn.to/K8uwPb
Servant of the Goddess Kindle: http://amzn.to/J0R2Id
Barnes and Noble:
Servant of the Goddess Trade PB and Nook: http://bit.ly/IIz7ru
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Summer Giveaway Hop!
- 23rd Birthday (Rachel's!) Giveaway!
- Hidden by Sophie Jordan
- Let's Hear It For Almigal Guest Post and Giveaway!...
- Huge Book Giveaway!
- Lazy Days Giveaway!
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
- Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
- Destiny by Gillian Shields
- Once by Anna Carey
- Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
- Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit
- Arson by Estevan Vega: Review and Giveaway!
- Spotlight Giveaway by Author Rebecca Royce
- Gift That Lasts
- Beyond Cover Reveal!
- Book Pushalooza!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Marisette Burges...
- Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
- The Playdate by Louise Millar
- Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by ...
- Tales of the Not Forgotten by Beth Guckenberger
- Obsidian Ebook Giveaway (INT)!
- Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by: Me...
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer...
- Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway by Aut...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lorin Barber
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Review and Gi...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Julie Helm
- Vacation Reads Giveaway!
- Ghost Crown by J. Gabriel Gates; Charlene Keel
- Guest Post and $25 Giftcard (of your choosing!-com...
- Textbook Rental for College Students
- Inescapable by Nancy Mehl
- Guest Post and Giveaway (Gift Basket!) by Author P...
- Darkness Rising by Danielle Blanchard Benson Book ...
- Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath ...
- Absolute Boyfriend Series Giveaway!
- Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gat...
- Summoned by Susan Leigh Noble Guest Post and Inter...
- Summer Loving Giveaway!
- Naming Characters by Leia Shaw: Guest Post and $25...
- Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
- Guest Post by Author Denesha Sheree!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway...
- Guest Post by Author Stephanie Norris!
- Summer Reads Giveaway Hop!
- Gregory Allen - Writing Can Involve Memories
- Guest Post and Ebook Giveaway of Author Christine ...
- Hush Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick Givea...
- Undead by Kirsty McKay
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Laxmi Hariharan
- Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
- Books For Swap
- Guest Post and $50 INT Comment Giveaway!
- Guest Post and $25 Amazon Giftcard International G...
- Guest Post by Author Vanessa Morgan and Giveaway: ...
- Guest Post by Author Jackson Keene
- My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt
- Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman
- Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson Guest Post and Spotlig...
- The Hidden Life: An Amish Quilt Novel By: Adina S...
- Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Vanishing Girls by Katia Lief
- Five Miles South of Peculiar: A Novel by Angela El...
- Tiger Lily By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Nerd Girls (A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions) ...
- ▼ July (73)