Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:27 PM Monday, July 9, 2012
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.
Alina Starkov is a great heroine. At first, I was kind of unimpressed with her, but as the story continued, my impression of Alina changed. Alina is a terrified soldier who has to enter the Fold for a mission. The Fold is a pitch-black corridor of darkness that has cleaved Ravka, Alina’s home, in two and is filled with nightmare creatures that feed on human flesh called Volcra. Alina was petrified as the Volcra descended on her regiment, but when Mal, Alina’s best friend, is attacked, she is able to unleash a power she did not know she had to save him. Alina radiated a beautiful, brilliant light that shattered the darkness of the Fold and scared away the Volcra. After rescuing Mal, Alina is taken to train as a Grisha. These super-soldiers all possess a special ability. Some Grisha can manipulate water or fire, others can stop hearts and some can heal. Amazingly, Alina is the most powerful Grisha of all time. The hopes of Ravka rest on her shoulders.
This book is perfect for anyone who is looking for a new read to fall in love with. As you read, the characters mature and develop. Amazingly, Bardugo was able to incorporate romance into the midst of a fantasy-adventure novel. The scene where Alina saves Mal is breathtaking. Readers aged thirteen and up will love Shadow and Bone. I give this novel five out of five stars.
*Reviewed by Kristin*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Summer Giveaway Hop!
- 23rd Birthday (Rachel's!) Giveaway!
- Hidden by Sophie Jordan
- Let's Hear It For Almigal Guest Post and Giveaway!...
- Huge Book Giveaway!
- Lazy Days Giveaway!
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
- Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
- Destiny by Gillian Shields
- Once by Anna Carey
- Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
- Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit
- Arson by Estevan Vega: Review and Giveaway!
- Spotlight Giveaway by Author Rebecca Royce
- Gift That Lasts
- Beyond Cover Reveal!
- Book Pushalooza!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Marisette Burges...
- Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
- The Playdate by Louise Millar
- Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by ...
- Tales of the Not Forgotten by Beth Guckenberger
- Obsidian Ebook Giveaway (INT)!
- Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by: Me...
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer...
- Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway by Aut...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lorin Barber
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Review and Gi...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Julie Helm
- Vacation Reads Giveaway!
- Ghost Crown by J. Gabriel Gates; Charlene Keel
- Guest Post and $25 Giftcard (of your choosing!-com...
- Textbook Rental for College Students
- Inescapable by Nancy Mehl
- Guest Post and Giveaway (Gift Basket!) by Author P...
- Darkness Rising by Danielle Blanchard Benson Book ...
- Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath ...
- Absolute Boyfriend Series Giveaway!
- Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gat...
- Summoned by Susan Leigh Noble Guest Post and Inter...
- Summer Loving Giveaway!
- Naming Characters by Leia Shaw: Guest Post and $25...
- Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
- Guest Post by Author Denesha Sheree!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway...
- Guest Post by Author Stephanie Norris!
- Summer Reads Giveaway Hop!
- Gregory Allen - Writing Can Involve Memories
- Guest Post and Ebook Giveaway of Author Christine ...
- Hush Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick Givea...
- Undead by Kirsty McKay
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Laxmi Hariharan
- Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
- Books For Swap
- Guest Post and $50 INT Comment Giveaway!
- Guest Post and $25 Amazon Giftcard International G...
- Guest Post by Author Vanessa Morgan and Giveaway: ...
- Guest Post by Author Jackson Keene
- My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt
- Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman
- YOU'RE INVITED TO A TEAM HUMAN TWITTER CHAT!
- Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson Guest Post and Spotlig...
- The Hidden Life: An Amish Quilt Novel By: Adina S...
- Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Vanishing Girls by Katia Lief
- Five Miles South of Peculiar: A Novel by Angela El...
- Tiger Lily By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Nerd Girls (A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions) ...
- ▼ July (74)