Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 4:02 PM Monday, July 9, 2012
It’s two weeks before Triss turns 18, and her world is about to change into the most magical one imaginable as she readies herself to enter The Witch Avenue Order... that is until her mother’s disappearance. Instead of celebrating her transformation, she finds herself spreading rose petals into her mother’s empty grave.
When Logan, her best friend from junior high, moves back to town for college, he vows to help her find the answers she so desperately seeks surrounding her mother’s disappearance. As they begin uncovering clues, it becomes apparent that the life of white magic they both grew up loving is not what the majority practices, and their lives are in danger.
With a haunting feeling that her mother may still be alive, she begins to hear a call to the wilderness. Triss realizes that in order to find the answers she needs, she must learn the ways of her ancestors and become the hunter, not the hunted before it’s too late, and she becomes part of the lonely souls.
Triss is the main character and a bit of a bossy Bessie. The reader might be taken aback by how straight-forward and pushy she can be, but she also might remind the reader of his/her friend in real life that has similar traits. Unlike the friend of a reader, Triss is going to become a member of the Witch Avenue Coven on her eighteenth birthday. Two weeks before this was to happen, however, Triss's mom disappears. After an unsuccessful search by the police, Triss's mother is assumed to be dead. A short time after her mother's memorial service, Triss's mom's best friend arrives and brings her son, Logan. Triss and Logan used to be very close as children. This friendship quickly turns into chemistry. Triss refuses to believe that her mother is dead and Logan supports her and helps her search.
This book lacks refinement, but is still a good read. I really enjoyed the peak into the world of covens and witches and appreciated Triss's determination. The perfect audience for this novel would be teen girls and young women. The reomance and adventure of this novel is perfect for female readers. I am looking forward to the next book, but also hope that Karice Bolton will have worked out her pacing and found a smoother flow in her writing. I give this novel, three and a half out of five stars.
3 1/2 Stars
*Reviewed by Kristin*
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Summer Giveaway Hop!
- 23rd Birthday (Rachel's!) Giveaway!
- Hidden by Sophie Jordan
- Let's Hear It For Almigal Guest Post and Giveaway!...
- Huge Book Giveaway!
- Lazy Days Giveaway!
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
- Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
- Destiny by Gillian Shields
- Once by Anna Carey
- Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
- Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit
- Arson by Estevan Vega: Review and Giveaway!
- Spotlight Giveaway by Author Rebecca Royce
- Gift That Lasts
- Beyond Cover Reveal!
- Book Pushalooza!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Marisette Burges...
- Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
- The Playdate by Louise Millar
- Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by ...
- Tales of the Not Forgotten by Beth Guckenberger
- Obsidian Ebook Giveaway (INT)!
- Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by: Me...
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer...
- Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway by Aut...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lorin Barber
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Review and Gi...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Julie Helm
- Vacation Reads Giveaway!
- Ghost Crown by J. Gabriel Gates; Charlene Keel
- Guest Post and $25 Giftcard (of your choosing!-com...
- Textbook Rental for College Students
- Inescapable by Nancy Mehl
- Guest Post and Giveaway (Gift Basket!) by Author P...
- Darkness Rising by Danielle Blanchard Benson Book ...
- Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath ...
- Absolute Boyfriend Series Giveaway!
- Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gat...
- Summoned by Susan Leigh Noble Guest Post and Inter...
- Summer Loving Giveaway!
- Naming Characters by Leia Shaw: Guest Post and $25...
- Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
- Guest Post by Author Denesha Sheree!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway...
- Guest Post by Author Stephanie Norris!
- Summer Reads Giveaway Hop!
- Gregory Allen - Writing Can Involve Memories
- Guest Post and Ebook Giveaway of Author Christine ...
- Hush Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick Givea...
- Undead by Kirsty McKay
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Laxmi Hariharan
- Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
- Books For Swap
- Guest Post and $50 INT Comment Giveaway!
- Guest Post and $25 Amazon Giftcard International G...
- Guest Post by Author Vanessa Morgan and Giveaway: ...
- Guest Post by Author Jackson Keene
- My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt
- Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman
- Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson Guest Post and Spotlig...
- The Hidden Life: An Amish Quilt Novel By: Adina S...
- Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Vanishing Girls by Katia Lief
- Five Miles South of Peculiar: A Novel by Angela El...
- Tiger Lily By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Nerd Girls (A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions) ...
- ▼ July (73)