Crewel by Gennifer Albin
Posted by Krystal Larson at 3:26 PM Sunday, July 1, 2012
Incapable. Awkward. Artless.
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.
Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.
Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.
Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
Adelice was raised to be ordinary and safe. Her parents worked hard with Adelice every night, teaching her to be clumsy and blind to the threads that built their world. Adelice could not resist the weave, however, and was taken from her family forever to serve Arras as a Spinster. The male-dominated world Adelice lives in depends on Spinsters to connect matter and time to keep Arras running and safe. In exchange for loyalty and work, Spinsters are given anti-aging patches to keep them young and beautiful and are taken to lavish parties. Most girls hope to grow up to be Spinsters, but Adelice knows better. Spinsters are used by the Guild (government) to “rip” from the weave when they can no longer work or “clean” the threads of people who do not agree with the government. The corruption is rampant and perfectly hidden by the Spinsters. After she is taken to serve as a Spinster, Adelice learns that her abilities are abnormally strong. Adelice could even be a Creweler!
Adelice is a strong person; she never gave in or backed down. At times, Adelice seemed to be too headstrong, but overall, she is a good character. Crewel could be loved by anyone of any age. This book is not meant specifically for male or female readers and the plot is complex enough for older readers. Albin did a fantastic job working with her characters in the world she created.
4 1/2 Stars
*Reviewed by Kristin*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Summer Giveaway Hop!
- 23rd Birthday (Rachel's!) Giveaway!
- Hidden by Sophie Jordan
- Let's Hear It For Almigal Guest Post and Giveaway!...
- Huge Book Giveaway!
- Lazy Days Giveaway!
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
- Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
- Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
- Destiny by Gillian Shields
- Once by Anna Carey
- Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
- Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truit
- Arson by Estevan Vega: Review and Giveaway!
- Spotlight Giveaway by Author Rebecca Royce
- Gift That Lasts
- Beyond Cover Reveal!
- Book Pushalooza!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Marisette Burges...
- Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
- The Playdate by Louise Millar
- Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by ...
- Tales of the Not Forgotten by Beth Guckenberger
- Obsidian Ebook Giveaway (INT)!
- Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by: Me...
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer...
- Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway by Aut...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lorin Barber
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Review and Gi...
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Julie Helm
- Vacation Reads Giveaway!
- Ghost Crown by J. Gabriel Gates; Charlene Keel
- Guest Post and $25 Giftcard (of your choosing!-com...
- Textbook Rental for College Students
- Inescapable by Nancy Mehl
- Guest Post and Giveaway (Gift Basket!) by Author P...
- Darkness Rising by Danielle Blanchard Benson Book ...
- Carnival Girl: Searching for God in the Aftermath ...
- Absolute Boyfriend Series Giveaway!
- Dark Territory by Charlene Keel and J. Gabriel Gat...
- Summoned by Susan Leigh Noble Guest Post and Inter...
- Summer Loving Giveaway!
- Naming Characters by Leia Shaw: Guest Post and $25...
- Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
- Guest Post by Author Denesha Sheree!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
- Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton: Review and Giveaway...
- Guest Post by Author Stephanie Norris!
- Summer Reads Giveaway Hop!
- Gregory Allen - Writing Can Involve Memories
- Guest Post and Ebook Giveaway of Author Christine ...
- Hush Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick Givea...
- Undead by Kirsty McKay
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Laxmi Hariharan
- Guest post and giveaway by Author Denise Verrico!
- Books For Swap
- Guest Post and $50 INT Comment Giveaway!
- Guest Post and $25 Amazon Giftcard International G...
- Guest Post by Author Vanessa Morgan and Giveaway: ...
- Guest Post by Author Jackson Keene
- My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt
- Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman
- YOU'RE INVITED TO A TEAM HUMAN TWITTER CHAT!
- Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson Guest Post and Spotlig...
- The Hidden Life: An Amish Quilt Novel By: Adina S...
- Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- Vanishing Girls by Katia Lief
- Five Miles South of Peculiar: A Novel by Angela El...
- Tiger Lily By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Nerd Girls (A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions) ...
- ▼ July (74)