The Silk Box: A Love Story by Shirley Mihoko Hairston
Posted by Krystal Larson at 10:37 AM Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Mimics of Rune #2
by Aimee Laine
Release Date: September 3, 2012
Target Reader: Adult
Keywords: Paranormal Romance, Shape-shifter
Back of the Book
Face the past or look to the future? Both will hurt. One could kill her.
All her life, Lily Crane has supressed her childhood memories, masking the signs of abuse with a variety of looks. From brunette to blonde, tall to short — as a Mimic, changing shape is her gift. Her right. Her achilles heel.
It’s Lily’s latest likeness, chosen simply by accident, which threatens to repeat a history she’s desperate to forget. Worse, she must do so without the one man who takes all her pain away: Cael Aldridge.
Cael has no intention of leaving Lily on her own. He never has. Now, with the woman he loves in the hands of a predator who wants Lily for her genetics, Cael will do everything he can to bring her home.
He can only pray he isn’t too late.
It is hard to believe that Mihoko Hairston’s account of her mother and father’s lives and romance is contained in just these 256 pages. In this historical fiction novel, readers will hear individual accounts of the terrible bombing of Hiroshima, of the first years of American occupation in Japan, of the air force’s flights into Korea, of the Japanese invasion of China, and more. The subject of racism in the U.S. is described within American cities and on military bases; cultural aspects of imperial Japan are mentioned, such as the place of geisha in society. Distrust between races and cultures is evident in many of the book’s characters; yet, the characters are very likable. The author’s talent at dialogue really drew me into the story; she successfully switched between Southern American slang to respect-filled Japanese to crude military jargon. “Mi-Chan”, a young Japanese girl, uses her own experiences and the wisdom found in her Zen Koans book, a treasure in her “silk box”, to carry on, though her life has been altered and nearly destroyed by the American bomb. A Zen teaching from which she finds peace: “While you are living, know you are dying.” She intends to live in the present and find joy in whatever ways – big or small - that she can.
Her willingness to see beyond the barriers of culture and race, beyond hatred and unfairness, help her to lead a fulfilling life despite tragedy. Adults will enjoy reading about the heartbreaks and joys of Mi-Chan’s and “Sonny’s” lives.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (323)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Stone Relics by Katy Walters Guest Post and Giveaw...
- The Weeping by O'Dell Hutchison Review and Guest P...
- PrintRunner Giveaway!
- Beth Aldrich Guest Post!
- Autographed Copy of Chain Reaction by Simone Elkel...
- ARC Tour for Of Poseidon by Anna Banks!
- Can't Wait For Embrace by Jessica Shirvington?
- Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory Videos!
- Ever Heard of the Frugal Dad Website?
- The Qur'an Dilemma (English Volume 1) Analyzed by...
- Cover Reveal!
- WITCHFUL THINKING by HP MALLORY - FREE EXCERPT!!
- SIMON & SCHUSTER ACQUIRES LIFE’S A WITCH BY SELF-P...
- Sweeter Than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliot
- Cover Reveal
- In Darkness by Nick Lake
- It all comes down to the college admissions essay
- Emily's House by Natalie Wright and a Giveaway!
- Falling In Between by Devon Ashley
- Act of Grace by Karen Simpson
- Halflings by Heather Burch
- What are the challenges you face as a writer in yo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Author Greg Kiser!
- WondaWedge Inflatable Back Support
- The Silk Box: A Love Story by Shirley Mihoko Hairs...
- Beyond Molasses Creek by Nicole Seitz
- Gods and Fathers by James Lepore
- Announcement from Simon & Schuster!
- Four Letter Words by Bill Giovannetti
- Mornings with Jesus 2012: Daily Encouragement for ...
- Summer of Secrets by Charlotte Hubbard
- Weight-Loss Apocalypse: Emotional Eating Rehab Thr...
- Where the Willow Grows in Transylvania by Rosa Ale...
- The Opening by Ron Savarese
- Defending a King ~ His Life & Legacy by Karen Mori...
- Heart of Gold by Robin Lee Hatcher
- Cover Reveal!
- Time Slice by Kerry Downing
- Fast Forward Academy!
- Oath of Office by Michael Palmer
- Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale
- Partials by Dan Wells
- Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Je...
- Bewitching by Alex Flinn
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danfo...
- Above World by Jenn Reese
- ▼ February (47)