The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.
Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic in training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws threaten to launch what’s left of humanity into civil war, and she’s not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will discover that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.
Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulse-pounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.
Another terrific dystopian readers can look forward to. In the forbidding environment Dan Wells created, the reader will learn of the deadly RM virus. The RM virus is believed to be spread by "Partials" or militant, partially human forces. The RM virus barely leaves anyone alive in its path, killing newly born infants within a day of their birth. Kira, the main character, is very young, but already a medic. She strives to find a cure for this deadly virus, even if it means going to the enemy's camp.
With the shreds of humanity forced into a small space, no one feels safe. Humanity is at risk of extinction and strict laws are employed to keep citizens from fully panicking. Kira and a group of friends, also part of the "military," set out to save humanity-or die trying. Kira was easy to connect to, she is a sympathetic character with quite a few secrets that she doesn't even know about lurking in her past. The reader will love getting to know the other secondary characters, they each stand out and some harbor secrets. The events were very fast-paced, making the book hard to put down and one an avid reader may finish in a day or two despite the book's thickness. Look for another great dystopian sequel from this author!
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (332)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Stone Relics by Katy Walters Guest Post and Giveaw...
- The Weeping by O'Dell Hutchison Review and Guest P...
- PrintRunner Giveaway!
- Beth Aldrich Guest Post!
- Autographed Copy of Chain Reaction by Simone Elkel...
- ARC Tour for Of Poseidon by Anna Banks!
- Can't Wait For Embrace by Jessica Shirvington?
- Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory Videos!
- Ever Heard of the Frugal Dad Website?
- The Qur'an Dilemma (English Volume 1) Analyzed by...
- Cover Reveal!
- WITCHFUL THINKING by HP MALLORY - FREE EXCERPT!!
- SIMON & SCHUSTER ACQUIRES LIFE’S A WITCH BY SELF-P...
- Sweeter Than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliot
- Cover Reveal
- In Darkness by Nick Lake
- It all comes down to the college admissions essay
- Emily's House by Natalie Wright and a Giveaway!
- Falling In Between by Devon Ashley
- Act of Grace by Karen Simpson
- Halflings by Heather Burch
- What are the challenges you face as a writer in yo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Author Greg Kiser!
- WondaWedge Inflatable Back Support
- The Silk Box: A Love Story by Shirley Mihoko Hairs...
- Beyond Molasses Creek by Nicole Seitz
- Gods and Fathers by James Lepore
- Announcement from Simon & Schuster!
- Four Letter Words by Bill Giovannetti
- Mornings with Jesus 2012: Daily Encouragement for ...
- Summer of Secrets by Charlotte Hubbard
- Weight-Loss Apocalypse: Emotional Eating Rehab Thr...
- Where the Willow Grows in Transylvania by Rosa Ale...
- The Opening by Ron Savarese
- Defending a King ~ His Life & Legacy by Karen Mori...
- Heart of Gold by Robin Lee Hatcher
- Cover Reveal!
- Time Slice by Kerry Downing
- Fast Forward Academy!
- Oath of Office by Michael Palmer
- Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale
- Partials by Dan Wells
- Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Je...
- Bewitching by Alex Flinn
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danfo...
- Above World by Jenn Reese
- ▼ February (47)