Bewitching by Alex Flinn
Posted by Krystal Larson at 4:00 AM Wednesday, February 1, 2012
"It is the story of Kendra and her first 300 or so years of life. In Bewitching, Kendra ponders whether to help out a modern day plain-looking stepsister, while also reflecting on her experiences in the 1666 British plague, the court of Louis XV, and on the Titanic." (Source: author's Facebook intro)
Another amazing fairy tale from Author Alex Flinn. This is a book to watch out for come February! The reader is introduced to Kendra Hillferty, a young girl with too much responsibility on her shoulders. Her entire family is suffering from the plague, one of the only member of her family left alive is her brother. Kendra doesn't know it yet, but she is a witch. She makes this astounding discovery when she heals her brother who was at the brink of death. Knowing that she will be charged and tried as a witch, Kendra takes her brother and runs.
Kendra doesn't seem to have very good luck. She finds a gingerbread house that appears to be empty. Starving, her brother and her decide to stop and eat. The reader will likely know what happens after the witch who owns the gingerbread home comes back... Kendra's bad luck doesn't end there. She attempts to help a mermaid, an attempt that goes horribly wrong; she tries to help a prince, but she is banished instead. Finally, Kendra has found a stable-ish life. She goes to high school and stands out, but is relatively normal as compared to her prior self. It is there that she meets a potential friend and someone she could maybe help. She knows how her "helping" has turned out over the centuries and is understandably wary.
Kendra's character is different. She is certainly not like most main characters a reader will find in other books. She has "personality" and isn't one to be pushed around. Clever, enigmatic, and with a sense of humor, the reader will enjoy Kendra's narration of events and past stories. The other secondary characters are just as interesting, from all walks of life and status levels. The events were fast-paced and exciting, these stories were not necessarily predictable. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Stone Relics by Katy Walters Guest Post and Giveaw...
- The Weeping by O'Dell Hutchison Review and Guest P...
- PrintRunner Giveaway!
- Beth Aldrich Guest Post!
- Autographed Copy of Chain Reaction by Simone Elkel...
- ARC Tour for Of Poseidon by Anna Banks!
- Can't Wait For Embrace by Jessica Shirvington?
- Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory Videos!
- Ever Heard of the Frugal Dad Website?
- The Qur'an Dilemma (English Volume 1) Analyzed by...
- Cover Reveal!
- WITCHFUL THINKING by HP MALLORY - FREE EXCERPT!!
- SIMON & SCHUSTER ACQUIRES LIFE’S A WITCH BY SELF-P...
- Sweeter Than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliot
- Cover Reveal
- In Darkness by Nick Lake
- It all comes down to the college admissions essay
- Emily's House by Natalie Wright and a Giveaway!
- Falling In Between by Devon Ashley
- Act of Grace by Karen Simpson
- Halflings by Heather Burch
- What are the challenges you face as a writer in yo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Author Greg Kiser!
- WondaWedge Inflatable Back Support
- The Silk Box: A Love Story by Shirley Mihoko Hairs...
- Beyond Molasses Creek by Nicole Seitz
- Gods and Fathers by James Lepore
- Announcement from Simon & Schuster!
- Four Letter Words by Bill Giovannetti
- Mornings with Jesus 2012: Daily Encouragement for ...
- Summer of Secrets by Charlotte Hubbard
- Weight-Loss Apocalypse: Emotional Eating Rehab Thr...
- Where the Willow Grows in Transylvania by Rosa Ale...
- The Opening by Ron Savarese
- Defending a King ~ His Life & Legacy by Karen Mori...
- Heart of Gold by Robin Lee Hatcher
- Cover Reveal!
- Time Slice by Kerry Downing
- Fast Forward Academy!
- Oath of Office by Michael Palmer
- Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale
- Partials by Dan Wells
- Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Je...
- Bewitching by Alex Flinn
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danfo...
- Above World by Jenn Reese
- ▼ February (47)