Search This Blog

Interview with Kiki Hamilton, author of The Faerie Ring!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011
  1. Give us 5 reasons why people should read your book. If you’re looking for a story that includes a mix of mystery, danger, fantasy and romance set in Victorian London – you might enjoy THE FAERIE RING.


  1. Who was your favorite character to write about and why? I loved writing them all – but I particularly enjoy Tiki, Rieker and Larkin. Though Toots and Clara make me laugh and Shamus is always his steady, calm self. They all have a few secrets that haven’t been revealed yet, so I look forward to continuing to unpeel the layers surrounding these characters.


  1. I've always seen faerie spelled "fairy," what is the difference and how did you decide on the alternate spelling? To be honest, I don’t know where the different spellings originated, but I chose the ‘faerie’ spelling because it felt old and ‘authentic’ to the creatures who are part of the story. I think the different spellings, however, both refer to the same creatures who inhabit the Otherworld.


  1. The plot is very unusual, what was your inspiration? I started the story knowing that it would be set in Victorian London and that it would involve a girl, who was a pickpocket. Beyond that I really didn’t know what was going to happen. Then Tiki stole the Queen’s ring and I found out that the ring was more than just a simple ring – but instead a reservoir holding a very important truce. As I wrote, I found out that others wanted the ring – so I had to keep writing to find out what happened next. It was really a case of listening to what my characters were telling me.


  1. How did you pick the names of the main characters? Names just sort of come to me – usually character names are where I start. I knew Tiki’s name from the beginning. It was later that I discovered Tiki was short for Tara Kathleen. I also knew Rieker’s name right from the start.


  1. How did you choose the setting? I love London, it’s such an ancient city with so much fascinating history - I was excited to set a story there. It was fun to pick iconic landmarks, like Buckingham Palace and Charing Cross to weave a story around.


  1. What was your favorite part of the book to write and why? I loved writing the whole book – like I said earlier – I had to keep writing to find out was going to happen next! I wrote THE FAERIE RING because it was the book I wanted to read. But I have to admit, one of my favorite scenes is when Tiki is at Buckingham Palace in the ballroom when she meets William Richmond and Prince Leopold sees the mark on her arm. I still laugh when I read that!


Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog!


Debut novelist Kiki Hamilton takes readers from the gritty slums and glittering ballrooms of Victorian London to the beguiling but menacing Otherworld of the Fey in this spellbinding tale of romance, suspense, and danger.

The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.

Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.

Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…

Goodreads Summary

*I reviewed this novel and can wholeheartedly recommend it!  Read my review here

1 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for inviting me over to your blog, Krysal!

    xo
    Kiki