Search This Blog

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Tuesday, October 18, 2011
First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he’s depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?
As much as I wouldn’t mind watching him squirm, I know that he’s innocent. So I’m brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies and I’m still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what’s worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer’s next victim.
I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.

Goodreads Summary
From page 1, Hartley and Sam banter their way into your heart with their humor and loyal friendship.  After breaking into Hartley’s boyfriend’s locker where they discover the proof of his cheating, Hartley and Sam head to Josh’s house to confront him about Courtney…only to find Courtney, the president of the Chastity Club, strangled in his closet.  The mystery draws you in, and the terrific characters will keep you glued until the book’s end.  Chaste Hartley, who nevertheless didn’t sign her name on Courtney’s Chastity Club banner, promises to help her cheating ex-boyfriend.  Sam comically attempts to refrain from swearing in an “effing” number of creative ways.  Hartley, Sam, and the editor of the online school newspaper, Chase, conduct their own sleuthing: following hunches, meeting anonymous tipsters at midnight, interviewing students, and hacking into phone records.  From the grief counselor whose head is always at a 90 degree angle to Hartley’s mom with her rice noodle macaroni/soy cheese and rib-bruising hugs – the people around Hartley are likeable, caring, and hilarious.

Teens and adults will like reading about Hartley, the “Girl Who Dated Killers and Found Dead Bodies.”  Sam’s - climb on a roof for you – friendship and Chase’s chivalrous romantic interest make every page enjoyable.

4 Stars

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

1 comments:

  1. Hannah said...:

    Wasn't this one just awesome? I'm glad you enjoyed it!