Search This Blog

Cradle My Heart: Finding God’s Love after Abortion By Kim Ketola

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Abortion continues to be a hot topic in politics, women's rights, and medical practice. But for the eight to ten million American Christian women who have had one, abortion is a spiritual issue as well, raising questions of life and death, heaven and hell, grief and loss. Writing from her own experience, Kim Ketola sheds light on one of the darkest and most neglected personal issues of our time: the widespread need for healing and spiritual recovery after abortion. "After abortion brought the worst trouble into my life I had ever known," writes Ketola, "I just couldn't see my way free to believe in God's love." With a compassionate heart, Ketola offers ten true stories of healing promise from the Bible to help women answer the most common spiritual torments they face: Is abortion a sin? Does God hate me? Where can I turn in my shame and distress? How could I ever tell anyone the truth? And more.
Inspired by Romans 6:4--"just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life"--this is a definitive resource to help women see themselves and God anew and--finally--to find spiritual healing.

Goodreads Summary

Kim Ketola addresses women who’ve made the impossible decision to abort a child.  The book first asks if the reader is searching their hearts and minds trying to heal.  The end of the introduction is heartening to readers. She reminds us that we can entrust our hearts to Jesus; we can’t “hide” our thoughts or faults from Him.  Quoting John 6:37 and Heb 13:5, she comforts us with words showing God’s eternal care for those who turn to Him. 
Ketola offers 3 “tools” at chapter ends to help the healing process – reflection on Bible passages, prayerful requests, and ways to respond using exercises and steps that aid in spiritual growth. 
Although I haven’t experienced the pain of abortion, I knew girls who did.  The ones that spoke about it to me were ashamed, heartbroken, and grieving.  I think that this book would have helped them.  Although I cannot relate to the author’s saying that the morality of the abortion did not enter into her thoughts at the time, she is bravely honest to report that she was primarily thinking of her career, her reputation etc…   This book is about healing; there is no distraction with discussion of the abortion issue as political policy.
Women who need to heal after grieving this impossible choice will benefit from Ketola’s telling of others in similar situations, from support from God’s Word, and from suggestions for healing.

Four Stars

*Reviewed by Colleen*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard that many women who have had abortions have deeply regreted it. It is one of those things that is not much publicized.

  1. Lili said...:

    One of my friends in college has had to fight with the decision to get an abortion or not. It broke her heart. It hurts soo much to go through with it and even consider it. This book seems powerful.

    Thanks for sharing. May suggest this to you.

  1. kimketola said...:

    Thank you for 4 stars for Cradle My Heart!!

    Lili, I hope your friend will stay close to you. Even if she pulls away, she still needs your support.

    And yes, Ray--regret is a hallmark--yet we still hope as God redeems us and makes us new.