Search This Blog

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Saturday, January 11, 2014


Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

Goodreads Summary

This was possibly the best book I read in 2013 from the fantasy/romance genre.  I loved Kestrel's character; I found her character yielding where so many others' were not.  I loved how she took into consideration everything and acted in the best interest of everyone.  I loved how accepting she could be of people that she was told she should not accept.  Kestrel and Arin's characters were my favorite part of this book.  However, I also love the plot.  The author constructed a colorful and ornate picture of a conquered people enslaved by another people; angst, hatred, fear, and suspicion literally curl out of the pages.  I loved the underlying tension and suspense.  

The plot almost went too fast in the book in that I would have loved to have been able to read more.  I could not put this book down and read the entire novel in one sitting.  The ending was both expected and a little of a surprise (only part of it!).  I can't wait to read the next in the series and will be holding my breath!  This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

5 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    great review ! I love the cover and looking forward to reading this.

  1. Berenice said...:

    This cover is so, so pretty! I love it! This is actually the first review I've read on The Winner's Curse and you've convinced me! I'm definitely adding this one to my 'to-read' list. Thank you! =)